Discuss Non-Part P Registered Re-Wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matty Brown

Hi

First time posting on this form, so apologies if this is totally in the wrong place!

We're buying a house that needs a complete re-wire. We've had a family friend round to price up the job, who's a qualified electrician and I trust him to do the job properly and safely - but he's not Part P registered since he doesn't do enough electrical work each year to justify the registration fee.

I was lead to believe that he can provide an electrical inspection and testing certificate (which is 4 sides of A4) and that's all I need for buildings insurance and selling my house in the future; but if I wanted to get it signed off by a Part P registered electrician, he could arrange for someone that is a Part P registered electrician to inspect his work and complete the relevant paperwork, for a small(ish) fee. I think I'd feel better getting the work properly signed off, knowing that we're not going to have issues with buildings insurance or reselling our house in the future.

Any advice much appreciated!

I think you can pay the fee and get building control to certify the work he does.

Hi Andy I have moved the thread into the diy part of the forum for you.
You can actually have him do the work and you can inform building control first if that works for you? usually the fee ranges from nothing to around £150. I would bank on it being nearer the 150 though.

Under the rules of Part P the only people who can organse 3rd party sign off are your LABC - a registered sparky is not allowed to sign off 3rd party work.

You should call LABC, as you are the home owner and talk to LABC - you may even get a surprise.

which ever route you take just make sure it is signed off as you as a home owner are responsible for insuring building compliance is met

Hi Andy I have moved the thread into the diy part of the forum for you.
You can actually have him do the work and you can inform building control first if that works for you? usually the fee ranges from nothing to around £150. I would bank on it being nearer the 150 though.

Thanks Phil, but who's Andy?

So, a qualified electrician (who is not Part P registered) can complete the work, so long as I inform Building Control first (and pay relevant fees)? Does Building Control then inspect the job at various points to ensure that everything meets Part P regs? The fees are anything but straight forward, http://www.darlington.gov.uk/dar_pu...arges_Leaflet_2013.pdf#page=4&zoom=auto,0,679 - I guess I'd have to pay £99 for submission of plans + £231 for inspection. Our electrician friend may as well pay his Part P registration fee for the year (£450?).

Please excuse Phil, he's not 100% at the moment, he's recovering from a particularly nasty bout of avataritus (he logged in this evening to find his avatar had been sabotaged) :).

Your friend obviously does almost zero installation work because, as you point out, the building control prices aren't cheap so he'd only need to do 2 jobs per year to make registration worthwhile. Are you absolutely sure he's qualified?

I may have read on this forum that if he is qualified, the Labc in some areas can accept his certification and give you a lower charge

So, a qualified electrician (who is not Part P registered) can complete the work, so long as I inform Building Control first (and pay relevant fees)? Does Building Control then inspect the job at various points to ensure that everything meets Part P regs? The fees are anything but straight forward, http://www.darlington.gov.uk/dar_pu...arges_Leaflet_2013.pdf#page=4&zoom=auto,0,679 - I guess I'd have to pay £99 for submission of plans + £231 for inspection. Our electrician friend may as well pay his Part P registration fee for the year (£450?).

Yup that's about the relality of it AND as you you now have a full understanding of Part P, non compliance of the legislation is not an option and court action against you, the homeowner, could result!

Happy days.

I have no idea who Andy is :D

well its official I have lost the plot again :D next thing I will be talking to myself

Okay, so I got in touch with our LABC and they responded:

If the person who is carrying out the work is not Part P registered then a Building Regulation application is required.

Okay, so that's where the LABC sends a surveyor to inspect the work that the electrician has done, right?

If a third party Part P registered electrician will certify the work under part P he will be required to issue an electrical certificate and we would be notified of the work under the competent person scheme.

And here, they're saying that we can in fact have his old boss, who is Part P registered to inspect the work and issue the certificate and they would notify the LABC... which sounds a lot simpler and quicker than getting their surveyor out to check the work over.

Any words of warning? :sweatdrop:

Okay, so I got in touch with our LABC and they responded:

And here, they're saying that we can in fact have his old boss, who is Part P registered to inspect the work and issue the certificate and they would notify the LABC... which sounds a lot simpler and quicker than getting their surveyor out to check the work over.

Any words of warning? :sweatdrop:

Yup - there is no mechanisim for 3rd party sign off as yet.

As a follow on from Murdoch's post No. 4. He mentioned a surprise!! Now I think I know what this surprise is but I am surprised that LABC didn't mention this way!!! And as Murdoch also mentioned in post No. 14 about third party signing, there is no scam offering this yet. The only thing really that the LABC will accept in these circumstances, is an EICR!! (sorry to spoil your surprise Murdoch)!!lol

I have done a few of these for people in the past who have been "let down" by there electrician!! It may be cheaper than getting the LABC invovled.

If he is qualified and has cetificates he could send copies to the LABC who will put him on their register as a non scheme member,as long as he is competent to do the work and can issue a full electrical installation certificate then most LABC should accet this without the need for any faffing about afterwards.Prior to myself having to join elecsa the only work i could do was a consumer unit upgrade,i paid a fee (£60) and that was that.This option sounds the best for your friend are they mainly working on commerical/industrial?.

If he is qualified and has cetificates he could send copies to the LABC who will put him on their register as a non scheme member,as long as he is competent to do the work and can issue a full electrical installation certificate then most LABC should accet this without the need for any faffing about afterwards.Prior to myself having to join elecsa the only work i could do was a consumer unit upgrade,i paid a fee (£60) and that was that.This option sounds the best for your friend are they mainly working on commerical/industrial?.

Was this per Cu change??? My career is taking a different route for the next 10 months or so but I will still be doing the SE stuff part time. My Elecsa reg is up for renewal in Nov and I dont think its worth me renewing as I only notifyed 4 jobs this year. I may go down this route myself, if its worth it.

Was this per Cu change??? My career is taking a different route for the next 10 months or so but I will still be doing the SE stuff part time. My Elecsa reg is up for renewal in Nov and I dont think its worth me renewing as I only notifyed 4 jobs this year. I may go down this route myself, if its worth it.

different bc`s mate. there was one that after sending copies in for one council they just charged a minimal fee for the certification to cover postage and printing ie around 3 quid. shame they all dont do it

different bc`s mate. there was one that after sending copies in for one council they just charged a minimal fee for the certification to cover postage and printing ie around 3 quid. shame they all dont do it

I might send Bradford & Leeds Bc an email explaining my situation and see what they say. Cant see it being a good response like but you never know!!! Don't cost owt to ask.lol.
Hows the wrist??? Paul told me what happened.
Has he by any chance mentioned what I am doing??

Jay, as labc are already aware of you i cant see them charging you much,ive recently had to renew elecsa reg and i feel it is way too expensive on every scheme,could do without having to cough up £444 every year but only other option is the one already mentioned.

Reply to Non-Part P Registered Re-Wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net