Discuss Non Registered Spark wiring NewBuild in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
Went to a Newly Built Granny-Flat last week on behalf of MK's Switch Exchange Program
Opened the CU to find
  • spaghetti Junction,
  • No Labels,
  • Tails half out of Main Switch,
  • 16mm SWA on a run of 50m
  • SWA Armor not earthed
  • PME brought over from main house
  • 50A MCB and RCD protecting SWA
  • 3 x 8.5kW Showers in Granny Flat - (Don't know why 3)
  • No Bonding anywhere

Certificates:
  • No Property Name
  • Customer was the building company
  • Ze results mixed with Zs results
  • Non-Body Certs
  • No Signature on bottom of Certs

Gave the Electrician a call - details found in designer section only - asked for his registration number - reply "C&G 2382 and C&G 2391 I think!"

Asked for NAPIT, NICEIC, etc - reply what are they!

He recalls wiring the house - he didn't know he had to be registered

Called LABC - their reply:
  • No Building Control Certification
  • No Building Control Notice for Electrics
  • No Building Control Notice for Gas
  • No Building Control Notice for Insulation
  • No Building Control Notice for Windows
  • No Building Control Notice for ANYTHING!
  • Only thing they could find was Planning Permission which the customer applied for

Customer spent £85,000 for this build

Electrician is from Manchester Area - Worked down in Pembrokeshire, Wales on this one job
I don't know if I can post the name of the construction company or Electrician - MODs advise please

the building is subject to planning control anyway, so the electrician does not need to be with niceic, elecsa etc. as long as LABC are satisfied he's competent, all that's needed is for LABC to receive a copy of the EIC. as for the problems with the installation itself, that's another issue.

• No Labels
  • Tails half out of Main Switch
  • SWA Armor not earthed
  • 3 x 8.5kW Showers in Granny Flat
  • No Bonding anywhere

How are any of these complaint? - im sure I dont need to quote regs they dont comply with

Same goes for the EIC - Not worth the paper its written on!

• No Labels
  • Tails half out of Main Switch
  • SWA Armor not earthed
  • 3 x 8.5kW Showers in Granny Flat
  • No Bonding anywhere

How are any of these complaint? - im sure I dont need to quote regs they dont comply with

Same goes for the EIC - Not worth the paper its written on!

No labels- hardly going too do any harm to anyone is it
TAils not terminated properly- so the rest of the live parts in the DB are all fully enclosed?
16mm SWA- What problem here?
SWA Not earthed- Is the SWA used as a CPC? or is it run where it needs to earthed?
PME- DNO responsibility? Although no problem with extending it
50 MCB- sounds like it is doing its job properly
3 showers- No problem here
No bonding- are there any extraneous conductive parts?

So aside from the top 2 pretty compliant so far unless you answer the questions I have asked

this is a thread that needs a pic of the CU with the lid off, so we can see if it's a bodge or not.

No labels- hardly going too do any harm to anyone is it
No RCD, Circuit Identification - not sure if a reg but good practice as these are included in the CU
TAils not terminated properly- so the rest of the live parts in the DB are all fully enclosed?
Tails not in properly - and not cut tidy - only 3 cores connected!
50m Run - Preferably 25mm would have been better to avoid voltage drop!
SWA Not earthed- Is the SWA used as a CPC? or is it run where it needs to earthed?
SWA Buried underground
Regs State this must be TT
RCD Discrimination
if 2 Showers Running - MCB Tripps - 4 Bedrooms for all family members - usual situation for this customer
All Pipework is metal

Check your regs!

- - - Updated - - -

this is a thread that needs a pic of the CU with the lid off, so we can see if it's a bodge or not.

I know - didn't take one - wish I did though

- - - Updated - - -

Why has the original contractor not been asked to this if it's a new build?

Original contractor subbed it to this Electrician!

by my rough calc. 16mm will handle 46A over a 50m length, giving a VD of 3% . what's the problem?

So you are saying only 3 cores of the SWA connected into the switch?

Does the 16mm suffer volt drop outside of the permitted in BS7671

What regs for SWA buried has to have a earthed sheath? TT on a outhouse, all they have done is extended the PME zone. Perfectly acceptable. Have you proven the metal pipework is a extraneous conductive part?

Ok so bad design on the showers.

2013-11-19 23.15.15.jpg

It was very similar condition to this one just bigger - 21Way MK CU - Split Load

This picture is taken of one I attended for British Gas Home Assistance

Originally Posted by Dillb No labels- hardly going too do any harm to anyone is it
Tails not in properly - and not cut tidy - only 3 cores connected!
50m Run - Preferably 25mm would have been better to avoid voltage drop! ....Better maybe, but that's not saying it doesn't comply!!
SWA Buried underground Is, or has the SWA been earthed at one end only ''outgoing end''??
Regs State this must be TT .....REALLY THINK AGAIN!! Better still name that Reg?? lol!!
RCD Discrimination ...Not actually against any regulation
if 2 Showers Running - MCB Tripps - 4 Bedrooms for all family members - usual situation for this customer .....Is this a Granny flat or a 4 bed house, ... make you're mind up??
All Pipework is metal .....internal maybe, but what of the pipes entering the property, these day's plumbers tend to use plastic for everything??

So you are saying only 3 cores of the SWA connected into the switch?

Does the 16mm suffer volt drop outside of the permitted in BS7671

What regs for SWA buried has to have a earthed sheath? TT on a outhouse, all they have done is extended the PME zone. Perfectly acceptable. Have you proven the metal pipework is a extraneous conductive part?

Ok so bad design on the showers.

This building is 50m away from the main house! The Pipework is connected directly to a well!
You cant just extend a PME supply in this means - trying to find Reg now

Reply to Non Registered Spark wiring NewBuild in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net