Search the forum,

Discuss Not connecting inverter directly to consumer unit? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dougalthedog

According to the DTI's "Photovoltaics in Buildings" document:

"An inverter supplied from a PV array must preferably be installed in a
dedicated circuit in which:
no current-using equipment is connected, and
no provision is made for the connection of current-using equipment,
and
no socket-outlets are permitted."

The use of must and preferably next to each other is surely a bit confusing!

I have recently heard of an installer advising a customer that they could connect the inverter to an existing circuit in say a bedroom if it was going to be too difficult to route the cable to the consumer unit.

I am interested to find out if this practice is widespread and additionally whether any such installation has been part of an MCS annual review.

My gut feeling is that whilst this may save cosmetic damage for the customer, this probably does not outweigh the potential safety concerns or the fact that access would be required for meter reading.

Thanks in advance.

According to BS7671, parallel generation plant may be connected to a distribution circuit downstream of the circuit protective device(s), where the current carrying capacity of the cable (sub-main) exceeds the rating of the sum of the generator output and protective device.
In other words, the sub-main cable must be rated to take the full load current and full generation current simultaneously, and assumes the two loads as additive.
However, connecting generating plant directly into a final circuit supplying current using equipment is not permitted by the DTI guide.

Reply to Not connecting inverter directly to consumer unit? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock