Discuss Nursery electrical advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently decorating our spare room as a nursery and noticed the plug sockets.. The socket works. Not too sure what the switch is for next to the socket.. Any ideas? Also is it safe as it is, or do I need to call an electrician to cover it up as I don't want my son to stick his finger in between if it's dangerous? Any advice would be great. Thank you

View attachment DSC_0005.JPG

I doubt your son will come to harm poking between them, what is on the wall behind them. It looks like a light switch which shouldn't really be connected direct to a socket outlet.

Is there a black plastic bit stuck in that socket earth?
If so then that will be holding open the safety shutters on the socket. Replace the socket or remove the plastic bit. Of course, isolate the electrics before doing anything.

As already mentioned a switch connected to a socket like that is pretty unusual and could likely be a sign of some kind of DIY bodgery.

As far as sockets go the British standard 13A socket is the safest design of general purpose socket outlet in the world. Just check that the plastic shutters in the live and neutral holes are not damaged and they will be safe.

Do not use plastic ‘safety covers’ of any kind, these defeat the safety shutters built in to the socket and make them more dangerous to children.

as spoon said, that socket in it's present condition is dangerous, esp. with a child there. i would not hesitate to call an electrician to replace it.

I would also check what that switch is doing. Don’t like the exposed T&E especially in a kids room, also can’t see if there are any other cable exit holes in that patress. If I was the OP and that switch does not do anything I’d remove whilst the socket is being replaced.

I think the OP has done on holiday...

Reply to Nursery electrical advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net