Discuss Office partition lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

i am currently trying to wire a metal partition that has two metal push button switches. The lights consist of two regular ceiling tile flourescents and 2 emergency light flourescents. When I connect a regular switch to the lights they all work fine. When I connect the metal push switches the lights will only stay on if I hold the button down. When I release them the emergency lights come on as if there is no power. I have no instructions and no markings on the switches as these have been been bought second hand and I have been asked to fit them. I am obviously missing something obvious so if any one could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful

thanks

Sounds like the buttons are simple momentary push to make and not latching buttons, your E/M lights should be connected to the supply side also regardless of the position of the push button so shouldn't be effected.

They sound like the incorrect type of button for your needs, although there are ways to adapt what you have it would be simpler to replace with the correct type.

Do you have a photo, brand, make etc

Last edited:
Hi there,

unfortunately i I have no make or model number as the client purchased them second hand. I also think that they are not suitable and had a different purpose before. I have sorted out emergency light as I had the switch line the wrong way round. I am just trying to post a photo

I think Darkwood has covered everything required but you could do a few continuity tests on the switch to confirm the momentary operation and so the unsuitability of the switch, unless they employ someone to stand there with their finger on the switch!

Hello again,

just had another thought about these pesky switches. There are 2 (I think) 16.5mm stainless steel switch made by Bulgin. Could these switchs be controlled by a relay. One for off and one for on. If so can anyone recommend a good relay that would be suitable.

Thanks

You could just use a step or latching relay such as this one. Then you can have the switches working as you would expect, press the switch lights on, press the switch lights off.
You would have to check the rating of the lights to ensure you were not overloading the contacts.

Sounds like module fittings....the light fittings are connected to a control module, then cabled to 3 way switch (up/ centre/down) the switch turns lighting on and also dims. Not worth messing with without schematic and instructions..

Reply to Office partition lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net