Discuss Old Lady ripped off bodge it electrical in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

and because it's perfectly legal. joe public buys a CU from B&Q, informs LABC, does the job, pays LABC £250+, all above board. and anyone who thinks that this happens in the real world is living on cloud cuckoo land. part p.... give us a break. time for some real legislation. never seen joe public buying a gas boiler for DIY install yet.

I always wonder who actually buys CUs etc from B&Q, Wickes... but I hadn't actually thought it all the way through - are the diyers working live or pulling the main fuse. When a registered spark isn't aloud to do either, should there actually be legislation stopping the sale of CUs etc to general public - or thats going too far?

I always wonder who actually buys CUs etc from B&Q, Wickes... but I hadn't actually thought it all the way through - are the diyers working live or pulling the main fuse. When a registered spark isn't aloud to do either, should there actually be legislation stopping the sale of CUs etc to general public - or thats going too far?

Answer to that is any one i saw an elderly man with his wife in a wheel chair buying aboard hands shaking he said to the cashier im off home to replace my fuse box thats who , on the worrying note a recent house fire and a close call MCB caught fire this one was installed by a guy who's "mate " was an electricain problem is he had no certification electrium stated that due to the lack of certification they cannot further investigate and i bet the guys insurance would have been voide but here the thing to think about joe blogs buys a board installs it then theres a recall will they ever find out about it as electricians we will as its splashed over the press and in wholesalers ,there is some thing in the pipe line for regestration

i can name a few and would happily be taken to court if they wanted to try the slander route!! i have pics and evidence! GET OUT OF OUR TRADE!!!

Following this thread I popped on to ODPM website and left a message suggesting they come on here and read what's happening at the pointy end showing proof that Part P does not work, is an ill thought out piece of legislation and is being contravened on a daily basis with no one getting punished for it.
A guy called Ian Drummond Mailed me back telling me what Part P does and why it was introduced (For crying out loud, as if I didn't know that) and pointing out that LABCs have powers but often don't use them because they don't know it's happening. Total BS since I know lads who have reported shoddy work.
So I've replied in more detail asking him again to pop on over here to see some of the horror stories. I also suggested that instead of getting the CPS operators in on the consultation that's going on now he gets actual sparkies involved who know what is happening and may come up with some sensible ideas instead of the crap we are forced to cope with.
I'm not confident he will do anything but at least he has been told.
Anyone want his email address?

the only problem with altering the legislation is that it will mean more cost being stuck onto the genuine sparks, thus increasing prices, thus giving more work to the cowboys, unless the sale of electrical equipment is restricted. can't see the fat cats who make millions out of sales going for that.

fat cats rule, and niceic was formed for the customer not the the installers.... so why would they care if they not registered with them

since when did the niceic give a ---- for the customer? niceic was formed for the benefit of niceic.

since when did the niceic give a ---- for the customer? niceic was formed for the benefit of niceic. ( that is not a statement of faCT, JUST A PERSONAL OPINION)

the only problem with altering the legislation is that it will mean more cost being stuck onto the genuine sparks, thus increasing prices, thus giving more work to the cowboys, unless the sale of electrical equipment is restricted. can't see the fat cats who make millions out of sales going for that.

Thank god for the ''fat cats'' then!! Stop blaming the general public for all the woes of the electrical industry. The only people to blame is yourselves for not doing anything, apart from moaning about the deskilling of our industry. The facts of the matter is, and has been proved time and time again, that there are just as many cowboy's in these so-called scheme providers as there are outside of them.

Retailers have been selling electrical equipment long before i came into the industry, i dare say most electricians use these retailers far more than most are willing to admit too. If these retailers can sell this stuff cheaper than the big electrical wholesalers, then something is very wrong with these wholesalers prices, ....strangely Greed rapidly comes to mind!! lol!!!

B and Q / Screw fix / Tool station = life line on weekends and after 5pm for them niggly bits you always need!!!

do try and stay away from them as best i can but some times duty calls!!

i blame home DIY shows for the decline in most trades apart from roofer and gas fitter!

lol has anyone had the call from the "confident" diyer whos mixed up his wiring at ceiling roses when he tried to replace them with new ones from these diy stores saying that he thought that just the two colours did the same thing lol i have easy money then

lol has anyone had the call from the "confident" diyer whos mixed up his wiring at ceiling roses when he tried to replace them with new ones from these diy stores saying that he thought that just the two colours did the same thing lol i have easy money then
Only about a thousand times mate

on that theme, i recently was called to a similar situation where the guy had fitted a new light. bang goes the fuse, so he calls me out. i checked/metered cables, connected up --bang. turns out that the new fitting he had bought had a dead short L/E internally. DOH.

so maybe not a bad thing that the shops sell electrical equipment to the joe public considering the work it actually creates for us when they get out of their depth with it, i just hope they dont blow themselves up.

my eighty year old grandad rang me the other day after he changed a fitting in his kitchen he mixed the earth up with the line conductor even taped the earth up red for some reason, really scared me that he was working with electricity told him strictly to only call me anytime he needs anything doing electrically he said he was gutted that he messed up because he was out of his depth ( he used to be a carpenter and then a patten maker and then a university lecturer........very proud man and intelligent)

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but...

Had a gas fire looked at when having my boiler serviced less about 10 days ago. Turns out the (flueless) fire needed a fairly big vent in the room otherwise didn't comply with regs (not installed in accordance with manufacturers instructions). It had been fitted about 2 years ago by previous owner just before we bought the house. We've got building regs cert stating compliance. I didn't fancy putting a vent in the pretty small front room and I hate the look of the fire. The engineer capped the gas off there and then, stuck a do not use sticker on it and filled in a gas safe form. I have changed it for smaller electric fire already.

Got a letter today from the HSE saying that it had been reported and they wanted to investigate urgently to make sure that the installer wasn't fitting any more appliances illegally.

Is a similar response from a dangerous electrical installation likely?

tbh i hope so mate its good to see that another trade is better governed by safety and bodges better but im not sure someone will tell you now man

talk about government not giving a ----...... from opinion polls, my own observations, press reports ( however inaccurate they may be) it would appeasr that around 75% of the UK population is in favour of a referendum over membership of the EU. so why did over 400 MPs ( supposedly representatives of said population who voted them into power) vote against the wishes of 75% of the electorate???????
Because the party Whips will cajole and threaten...to ensure MPs tow the line...they will even stand at the que (arms folded) to see who goes in the "no" line...and report em......its crap innit....

Reply to Old Lady ripped off bodge it electrical in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net