Discuss Old Lady ripped off bodge it electrical in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nickblake

Yet again another old lady ripped off by a poor job , no certs issued , i got the call today that she had a live wire in the kitchen ,so get there yes a wire was exposed but the fuse had been taken out this was supplying an old window fan and she had had the window replace so to move the old one it was cut off , so fair enough , then looking at her other problems she described a box keeps tripping out ,small one way consumer unit feeding new sockets in her kitchen main switch RCD 32 amp breaker supplying the kitchen ring , fine nothing wrong with that i hear you say ,well heres the crunch the consumer unit was tapped off a radial socket in the garage which is then supplied from a BS1361 30 amp fuse nice one so new kitchen new tiles all behind the cooker down to the floor , and directly above the cooker is the old cooker switch which was early 80's and in very poor condition ,i ask my self in disbelief why was this not moved when the kitchen was done and to add to it there have been 2 twin sockets tapped off that as well as the cooker , the consumer unit is an old 3036 coverted to 1361 fuses and 3871 MCB's with one of the MCB's in poor condition this is located in an alcove about 8 ft from the floor above a central heating boiler how the hell is the 92 year old ment to reach that if the MCB trips , no bonding to the oil service which is directly below the consumer unit nor any bonding to water which is in the same place ,the sockets have been replaced with the cheapest sockets in the history of electric ,and make it even worse they have been tiled round and grouted in so with out wrecking the tiles are almost imposible to remove , they guy that did it needs bringing to justice ,with just a little thought , it was one of the easiest kitchen referbs in the history of man kind lower and reloctae the consumer unit , move the cooker switch add an extra socket simple the whole job should have taken less than 2 days , this has annoyed me so much that its going further ,the old lady 's not going to do anything but i most certainally am ,Where has the passion in our buisness gone where is the though , how an old lady will access her consumer unit how

a very angry nick !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beggars belief, at least she has the right man in now Nick!

They need to be put out of business! Trading standards, LABC. If they claimed to be part of a scheme, then details to the scheme provider.

We could almost do with a standard letter that can be sent to the various bodies.

Yet more examples of crap! Get em out of business I say...The problem here though is the further disruption to an old lady`s life that she could do without and lets not forget that old folk cant cope with to much upheaval/disruption (which is why they dont have things updated much) Does my head in..stuff like this...

I had my annual NICEIC inspection the other day, and asked about what is being done to better Police the rogues; and the fairly honest answer I got back was 'nothing'. The LABC's are all cash-strapped and overworked already, the NICEIC et al don't see it as their job either, and it would cost a fortune to run an industry-level FBI unit. Trading Standards might fair better, but then they normally look for a pattern of repeat behaviour which makes things unlikely as how many people would actually report unfair/unsafe work?

I had my annual NICEIC inspection the other day, and asked about what is being done to better Police the rogues; and the fairly honest answer I got back was 'nothing'. The LABC's are all cash-strapped and overworked already, the NICEIC et al don't see it as their job either, and it would cost a fortune to run an industry-level FBI unit. Trading Standards might fair better, but then they normally look for a pattern of repeat behaviour which makes things unlikely as how many people would actually report unfair/unsafe work?

No point being in a "scheme" then. waste of money. Just all mugged off with sore backsides.

What the hell is the point of the legislation if the powers that be are unable or unwilling to do anything about those who contravene it, not giving a damn about the danger they are putting other people in.

not giving a damn about the danger they are putting other people in.

This came up in the same conversation, and my NIC inspector told me the story (this is now third hand, so I'm sure may contain inaccuracies) of Tony Cable asking someone at Governmental / ESC level about why we don't have one national register, like Gas Safe, for Electricians. Apparently the answer is that electricity doesn't kill enough people in the UK to warrant the government time and expense.

Tony Cable asking someone at Governmental / ESC level about why we don't have one national register, like Gas Safe, for Electricians. Apparently the answer is that electricity doesn't kill enough people in the UK to warrant the government time and expense.
So they hog tie the ones who actually do give a flying F with loads of red tape and expense. Marvellous isn't it.

Yep mate - damned either which way! But at least those of us consciencious enough to know the difference can sleep at night.

This came up in the same conversation, and my NIC inspector told me the story (this is now third hand, so I'm sure may contain inaccuracies) of Tony Cable asking someone at Governmental / ESC level about why we don't have one national register, like Gas Safe, for Electricians. Apparently the answer is that electricity doesn't kill enough people in the UK to warrant the government time and expense.

Probably quite correct.

There wouldn't have been a CORGI if it hadn't been for the Ronan Point disaster.

I will go back to what I have always believed

We as electricians see the problems in the industry and we get angry seeing this sort of thing going on, when the system we have to work with fails on all fronts

The problem we have and always will have,others in positions of power do not visualise the problems to be significant to warrant hearing our gripes
never mind acting on our concerns

After all,even the schemes we have dont back us

If this was taken up with the niceic they would cast it aside, because their get out would be,either they are not registered so we dont act, or the complaint must be made by the customer,so we wont act

Even if they acted,any safety work done to the install instantly allows them to wash their hands of the problem by saying the installation has been altered

Talk about lack of support,these schemes appear to work against all we see as sensible and right

talk about government not giving a ----...... from opinion polls, my own observations, press reports ( however inaccurate they may be) it would appeasr that around 75% of the UK population is in favour of a referendum over membership of the EU. so why did over 400 MPs ( supposedly representatives of said population who voted them into power) vote against the wishes of 75% of the electorate???????

There needs to be more control on what people can buy over the counter, why is a consumer unit sold as a DIY item?

£££££££££££££££££££££'s in the till, mate. divis for shareholders.

and because it's perfectly legal. joe public buys a CU from B&Q, informs LABC, does the job, pays LABC £250+, all above board. and anyone who thinks that this happens in the real world is living on cloud cuckoo land. part p.... give us a break. time for some real legislation. never seen joe public buying a gas boiler for DIY install yet.

Reply to Old Lady ripped off bodge it electrical in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net