Discuss Old Style light fitting. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

Ive got a little side job here and its boggling my mind a little so hoping you can help. (Domestic electrical isnt my strength... Ill keep to highways electrics)

Basically they want this Light fitting in the living ( picture attached)
As you can see there isnt a ceiling rose fixture or anything to screw too. Is there an rose adapator and component to which i can wire the loops and outgoing to the light? Then obviously secure it to the ceiling?

The initial fixture was connector blocked together and held up by two screws so nothing to go off.

Hope you can help.

Attachments

• Resized_20210521_181501.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 45
that fitting uses a plate with a hook on it, screwed to the ceiling. the cone then slides up to cover the connections. when the hook is missing, i've used a screw-in hook into the joist as a substitute.

cone usually has a screw to secure it to the short tube containing the wires. any sort of hook into the joist will do as long as it fits in so the cone will goup tight to the ceiling.

however. that's a metal fitting and appears to have no provision for earthing, so i'd be dubious about fitting it.

Google 'cup hook' for the fixing.
been asked to do quite a few of this kind of thing over the years, and almost always you need to replace the brass lampholders with ones that have an earthing terminal built in, and rewire to suit. Any other large metal parts of the structure should also have an earthing tag attached and wired in.

Reply to Old Style light fitting. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Sorry no photos, but I’ll explain best I can. Turn on the switch, I’m not getting any light. Apparently a new fitting. Description…. A white...
Replies
Views
Hi we are replacing light fittings in our home. Im confident with the fitting aspect, but have run into doubt in making the right choice of...
Replies
Views
I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views
Hi Family member has moved into this house which is about 110 years old. Bodges everywhere inc the electrics. We are just rennovating it and when...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to replace an old ceiling light with a new one. My current connection has 3 wires and not sure how I should be wiring this...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock