Currently reading:
One back for the sparks!

Discuss One back for the sparks! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Was in my local DIY super-chain setting up a trade account when a guy comes in and asks a member of staff on the adjoining desk if he can help him with a problem with his light he bought .... he asked if the store had an Electrician to which they said no... Me been a kind soul said maybe i could help.... after a few questions and answers I established the fitting he had bought worked fine and he had mixed his wiring up so I asked if he had a voltage tester YES! i was sold one here yesterday and he showed me a neon... in clear range of the staff i said you should never have been sold that as anything more than a terminal driver it is flawed in the very nature of how it works and in a worse case scenario relying on it could kill you. A senior staff member trying to back his floor staff up ask me how I could justify what I said....

Consider the failure of the neon and your customer here relies on it to see what is live or not!
Its also picks up induction that will give a false positive that something is live when it isn't!

I asked would he be happy to take responsibility for the customers safety because you are selling neon screwdrivers as voltage checkers to non competent customers.... 'We shall review this and how they are sold was his reply'

I also defended said store by telling the customer that we know the fitting works and that's where the stores responsibility ends and i would recommend you get a competent person in to fit this...... 'I built an house so thought a simple light fitting change wasn't beyond me' ...

The house that Jack built comes to mind but i remained tight lipped and expressed I can't help you out unless you want to pay a £60 call out fee as im an Electrical Engineer not a domestic sparks.... surprisingly he declined and walked out lol....

So i peed of the staff, peed off a customer then opened a trade account -- not bad for a Thurs morn!

Reply to One back for the sparks! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back