• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Outbuilding on non RCD side of C/U? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nicebloke

If running power to an outbuilding (usually a garage at the bottom of someones garden), I normally run it from the non RCD side of the C/U in the house and then put a 2 way RCD protected C/U in the garage. I was however, told that I can no longer do this as it must be connected to an RCD in the house C/U. I was also told that any outbuilding more than 20 metres away from a house must have it's own TT system?

If running power to an outbuilding (usually a garage at the bottom of someones garden), I normally run it from the non RCD side of the C/U in the house and then put a 2 way RCD protected C/U in the garage. I was however, told that I can no longer do this as it must be connected to an RCD in the house C/U. I was also told that any outbuilding more than 20 metres away from a house must have it's own TT system?
where did you hear this?

Surely yours is the best method, as long as the cable has physical protection (i.e. not triggering the cables in walls reg). Having RCD in series is difficult to discriminate and the longer the run the more impact it has. A lamp blows in building2 at night and trips a board in building1 a 100m away creating an unnecessary hazard, imho.
Edit : and the reverse, a problem in building1 takes out RCD covering building2

I am with Stroma. With regards an outbuilding requiring its own TT system if it's more than 20 metres from the house, I can't see where he got this from?

I am with Stroma. With regards an outbuilding requiring its own TT system if it's more than 20 metres from the house, I can't see where he got this from?
out of a chinese christmas cracker, i'd assume. what a load of bollox.

While there are arguments to support that thinking, it is only one way of doing it, there is guidance to download called Exporting PME. If I put an RCD at the house I personally would only use that for the cable protection supplying the garage and do a TT at the garage. I understand the DNO do not like exporting PME too far from the origin as it may defeat their PME. But the above is not set in stone, there are other approaches.
Exporting Pme - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/resources/exporting-pme.101/

This is where it all goes wrong when you have different bodies giving different opinions, and within those bodies you have people who seem to have their own misguided opinions. One body, one set of rules is what it should have been.

Reply to Outbuilding on non RCD side of C/U? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back