Discuss Outdoor socket notifiable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Correct. Only notifiable if it's a new circuit, even if outdoors.

I think it's crazy, myself. For the amount of work that has to be notified, it's hardly worth bothering to stay registered.

It's the cu changes that make it worthwhile - a rewire you could price to cover notification through BC

And what with making registration harder with the changes to the EAS too, they might as well just start issuing spurs saddles and Colt 45s...

All I can think is there must be more cowboys in the badlands as in gods own country we've still kept the 'original' part P definitions! Or is it that they just dont trust us ......

I must say that dropping kitchens from Part P seems a mistake - I used to get CU changes from that, but now far fewer so I can only conclude that kitchen companies in general must be ignoring BS7671

I must say that dropping kitchens from Part P seems a mistake - I used to get CU changes from that, but now far fewer so I can only conclude that kitchen companies in general must be ignoring BS7671
I am mortified that I did not see that one, kitchen fitting is big business, and they say "what we have to notify all this lot?, no way, take it out of Part P,
we want more profit and certainly do not want to have to state we did it right".
Or am I just being a bit cynical.

With the reduction in scope it is now nearly worth it for me to notify BC directly, unfortunately they are very expensive around here so not quite worth it.

Yep, I cant understand the logic of why England decided to opt out and reduce the requirement for notification ---- and effectively Part P schemes starting to cut their throats as the benifits of being registered are slowly eroded and 'electricans' leave and just add LABC costs to the samll jobs where needed!

You don't need to wade through ADP.

This is the law - Building Regulations:

“(6A)
A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which Part P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement is required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of -

(a) the installation of a new circuit;

(b) the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c) any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.”;

This is all there is - in England

Last edited by a moderator:
This now lets kitchen fitters do what they want now , what a grave mistake , after all a major part of our work is putting right what they have done.

new circuit/s in a kitchen is still notifiable though. interesting thing i just seen in the revised part p doc. is that it states that an notifiable work done by a non-scam member may be inspected by a registered competent person who would complete an EICR, not an EIC.

new circuit/s in a kitchen is still notifiable though. interesting thing i just seen in the revised part p doc. is that it states that an notifiable work done by a non-scam member may be inspected by a registered competent person who would complete an EICR, not an EIC.

I know new is notifiable , but all theses fitters are going to do is extend and reuse the existing as we all know ,,

This now lets kitchen fitters do what they want now , what a grave mistake , after all a major part of our work is putting right what they have done.
Yes, which was one of the original reasons for all this P nonsense.

A cynic may suspect lobbying by the big companies (which didn't work in Wales (yet)).

All this ''limited scope'' crap for kitchen fitters, plumbers and the like, brought about by the scam providers to line their own coffers, should be brought to an immediate and abrupt end forthwith.
The worst intrusion into our industry next to the creation of the Electrical Trainee's. This is yet another nail in the demise of the UK's electrical industry. It's not seen anywhere else in the Western World, ...and for very good reasons!!

An absolutely ludicrous situation!!!

I think we need more publicity for when electricity causes harm. Obviously if someone actually gets electrocuted there's a fair chance it makes the papers/media and into the public awareness. But other than that, you hardly hear a thing. When there's a gas explosion it's always in the media as GAS EXPLOSION!!!! and so people get the (correct) impression that messing with gas is bloody stupid if you aren't a pro. What you don't get is HOUSE FIRE CAUSED BY ELECTRICS!!!! so people start thinking electrics are inherently fairly safe and it's OK to mess with. This needs to change.

It is very clear and in plain English on page 6 of Approved Document P section 2.5

No it is NOT notifiable.

photo.jpg

Approved Document P here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

Reply to Outdoor socket notifiable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net