Discuss Outside light turns on by bathroom light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, medium to beginners experience in electrics.

I placed a 250w security PIR light outside. I connected it to the inside first-floor lighting off a junction box in the attic. I've noticed that when I switch off my bathroom light at night that the security light sets off. Any advice on how I can prevent this and also out of interest why this appens.

Thank you

Stephen

Hi guys, medium to beginners experience in electrics.

I placed a 250w security PIR light outside. I connected it to the inside first-floor lighting off a junction box in the attic. I've noticed that when I switch off my bathroom light at night that the security light sets off. Any advice on how I can prevent this and also out of interest why this appens.

Thank you

Stephen
Also to add that I can turn the bathroom light on and off quickly but that doesn't seem to set off the security light. Only when I turn the bathroom light is on for a while and then turn it off and then sets off the security light. Also to add to explain myself better the bathroom light cable in the attic is on the same line as the security light outside.

Where is the security light positioned, is it up high above the bathroom window, or down below somewhere else completely?

Is the bathroom window in sight of the PIR sensor?
The sensor may be confusing the bathroom light going off with movement.

Can you turn the PIR away if it’s adjustable?

250W sounds rather large.
Is it an old halogen fitting? Second hand? It might be faulty.
Modern LED types are much less consumption. 50W would be considered big for a standard garden.

Is the bathroom window in sight of the PIR sensor?
The sensor may be confusing the bathroom light going off with movement.

Can you turn the PIR away if it’s adjustable?

250W sounds rather large.
Is it an old halogen fitting? Second hand? It might be faulty.
Modern LED types are much less consumption. 50W would be considered big for a standard garden.
No the window is on the other side. It's a new one. I mite try an LED to see if that solves the problem then. Thank you

So it happens when you operate the bathroom light switch, but not if you operate it quickly? I suspect slight arcing due to a slow operating switch, combined with a sensor which is sensitive to interference.

Can you try a different light switch and see what happens.

Last edited:
A picture might help.
I've never seen them activate with what you're describing, but I have seen them activate from a vented fan kitchen/bathroom fan when the warmer air extracts the building through the pir sensor range. .

Not knowing what pir light you have, some of these can be set to sense 10m away and sometimes even further. They have 3 small dials below the pir in which one can be the range.

An infra red camera can be handy.

As above are you in fact switching the PIR light on/off when you turn the bath light on/off and thus keep putting it back to factory settings

I've noticed that when I switch off my bathroom light at night that the security light sets off.
A point of clarification Stephenmunt: - I took the above to mean when you switch off the bathroom light, the security light comes ON. Or to put it another way, what does "sets off" mean please?

Reply to Outside light turns on by bathroom light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net