Discuss Ovo won't Fit a Smart Meter. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

remotely read the meter today...... cut or reduce supply at peak times..... sell info to scammers...... wait for all the sales spam in your inbox.

Both you and Tel have put down the smart meter I would like to know why ?

A. If you have a smart meter from supplier 1 and then change suppliers, you need to get the smart meter changed.

B. There are numerous tales of smart meters giving inaccurate readings.

C. They make meter readers redundant

D. I believe that the costs of smart meters are added to all our bills

I have a nice new shiny old fashioned meter. Our lecky and gas come from First Utility and I log on once per month to give a customer reading.

Simples

The agenda for smart meters is driven by future governance of adequacy of supply
It has little to do with customer management of their own use,it may be a small by product of the introduction,however,it is more than balanced by other factors, customer benefit is low on the scale of the supplier and government reasons for introduction
With the common use of Led lamps,energy efficient appliances etc,other than having the common sense to limit boiling the kettle too often or drying clothes other than with a energy consuming machine,it achieves little or nothing

Peoples privacy in the form of monitoring that usage and the flawed nature of their rushed introduction,it may see millions of them already fitted need replacing
Even discounting any negative issues,having one fitted at this present time may be a premature step

Thanks guys for info Tel never heard of anyone being cut off in peak times before I did hear it was a consideration of industrial on a opt in bases and they were going to be compensated for opting in

Thanks guys for info Tel never heard of anyone being cut off in peak times before I did hear it was a consideration of industrial on a opt in bases and they were going to be compensated for opting in

As far as I know it has been normal in industrial installations since the national grid was first created.
Large industrial installations will be in communication with the national grid control centres letting them know beforehand when large processes will be starting up and also for instructions to shutdown processes at times of peak demand.

I'm not sure if there are any members left on the forum who have first hand experience of these systems.

I don't think it will happen to domestic installations as the sheer number of houses you'd have to cut off to affect even a fraction of a percent of the load on the national grid would be huge.

As far as I know it has been normal in industrial installations since the national grid was first created.
Large industrial installations will be in communication with the national grid control centres letting them know beforehand when large processes will be starting up and also for instructions to shutdown processes at times of peak demand.

I'm not sure if there are any members left on the forum who have first hand experience of these systems.

I don't think it will happen to domestic installations as the sheer number of houses you'd have to cut off to affect even a fraction of a percent of the load on the national grid would be huge.
Dunno about that, I used to cut off the married quarters regularly when the need arose, when I was AP LV

Tel, I reckon Labour can solve this issue because we can promise anything we want
In the next manifesto we can rid the country of all types of meters,we can have free energy for all ;)
What do you think about that as a vote winner for us ? :)
that's a good one. alongside a labour committment to make sheep shed their coats every spring, thus making sheep shaggers shearers redundant and dependent on the state.

No not from the NG from HMG

Ok, presumably this was to reduce demand? But demand on what?

Current demand on the national grid is 22.18GW, my point is that switching off domestic supplies at individual smart meters would require millions of supplies to be switched off to make even a fraction of a percentage difference to that.

it's not about savings. it's about control.big brother is watching you

As far as I know the systems Dave mentioned are still operational, many are arc furnaces as they have a major effect on local supplies, also aircraft wind tunnels cause a major supply blip and many of these sites have there own generation to help to stabilise the local grid system.
I cannot see the smart meters being used for the purpose of shedding loads as they are operated by the DNO and the information is not available to National Grid. It is much easier to have controlled load shedding via a substation supplying the local undertaking. These emergency load shedding procedures apply to selected substations and agreed with the DNO and operated under command from NG. These are backed up by emergency low frequency tripping schemes installed at various distribution substations that automatically shed the load once the frequency has dropped to a point that would unstabalise the grid system. Industrial users do not like their induction motors running from a 46Hz supply.

Back in my apprentice days we had a foundry as part of the factory site and there was a particular alarm sound that was based on the power usage. When that alarm sounded we were required to stop all non essential operations and machines so that the foundry furnace could remain with power without excess energy fines being applied to the site.

On the big brother watching concerns, I have a smart metre and not bothered what they might gleen. Unless you want to go digitally off grid completely then you just gotta suck it up as far as I'm concerned. Mobiles, tablets, anpr, credit & debit cards, loyalty cards....everything has data and stats associated with it.

Back in my apprentice days we had a foundry as part of the factory site and there was a particular alarm sound that was based on the power usage. When that alarm sounded we were required to stop all non essential operations and machines so that the foundry furnace could remain with power without excess energy fines being applied to the site.

That's because of the way big users are charged. They don't have a ;little wheel whizzing round, but a big ole meter recording the power they are drawing. There will be a point at which the charges go up and they want to avoid that. The factory I used to work in had a 120 tonne power press. They only used it on the evening shift to avoid overloading

Reply to Ovo won't Fit a Smart Meter. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net