Discuss Part P , DIYers and confusion in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

or insist on new consumer unit on every test.
And what are you going to base this insistence on?
So as of this month are you demanding that perfectly serviceable plastic CUs be ripped out and replaced because they don't comply with the new "non combustible" regulation?

Why am I unreal. I was only stating fact.

You said "a register will indeed stop the charlatans". You appear to have changed your mind and now think it won't so the best thing to do is get 3 quotes.

I am glad you now agree with me.!

A proper register, run not for profit, with real assessment methods, and teeth, will stop charlatans, no doubt about it! It won't stop conmen however. Nothing you ever do will stop someone from becoming a criminal if they want to be. You can however stop people being killed as a result of crap training and a reliance on chequebook competence.

It isn't up to the electrical industry to stop conmen, that is down to trading standards and the police. It is however up to the electrical industry to regulate who can and can't go into someone's home or place of work and carry out alterations to an electrical installation. It is up to the electrical industry to ensure that someone with only 17 days worth of training, regardless of their work experience before hand, cannot masquerade as an electrician and put lives in danger through lack of knowledge. Full stop.

You are unreal because you simply fail to see the danger someone like yourself would put members of the public in with such a limited amount of knowledge of electrical design, installation, initial verification and inspection and testing should you start trading as an electrician!

Hmm get your point trev, I have never had a customer not have me do remedials as yet.
Trying to get my head around this
I don't like the idea of giving a unsatisfactory report then quote for work the customer needs and the only option the customer has is to pay what ever I want or get another electrician in to redoo all tests.
If your saying a MWC and an unsatisfactory report is acceptable as a pass I didn't know ?

I don't like the idea of giving a unsatisfactory report then quote for work the customer needs and the only option the customer has is to pay what ever I want or get another electrician in to redoo all tests.
QUOTE]

Well get your head round it! They trusted you to carry out the EICR so they should trust you to be reasonable on the remedials. That is good business. Don't help a competitor, they won't help you. As soon as another electrician does there remedial works they will become his client.

What possible other option is there?
There's nothing to get your head round. You do the report, you quote for remedials. You might get the job, you might not. If the customer wants a satisfactory report they pay someone for the work. It really is that simple.
Tell me, if you do an EICR and I get the remedials what makes you think you need to do another report? The customer has a bit of paper saying X is wrong, they then get another bit of paper saying "I've done this and it complies"
Your responsibility towards the customer and the install end with your EICR if you're not doing the remeds.

you don't need to compete with a £50 EICR mate. You can't because for that £50 they're getting a guaranteed satisfactory report.
What you need to do is point out that yes you're more expensive BUT for that money Mr Homeowner or Mrs Office worker or Mrs Workshop owner is getting a proper inspection carried out by a properly qualified person and that the report will be factual and impartial.

Can what be on a headed letter?
The eicr? It can be on gold tipped vellum made from the skins of unborn goats if you want it. It can be on used bog roll.
As long as the wording is correct but I'd advise downloading the official form and reproducing it on your own letterhead as you see fit mate

Sorry but as stated, the gas safe register has not stopped charlatans and neither would an electrical register.

Just being fully qualified does not prevent you from being a conman. Innappropriate rewires could become the equivalent of innappropriate boiler changes for example.

Mr Skelton, just showing above that charlatan/conman was being used interchangeably.
And whilst your pedantry towards the English language is simply tiresome, your need to constantly attack me in posts is quite annoying. Particulary when I was not directly engaging yourself in dialogue.

Mr Skelton, just showing above that charlatan/conman was being used interchangeably.
And whilst your pedantry towards the English language is simply tiresome, your need to constantly attack me in posts is quite annoying. Particulary when I was not directly engaging yourself in dialogue.

Charlatan and conman are not interchangeable words, they mean entirely different things?!? This isn't pedantry towards the English language, it is correct usage of two different words!

Are you now to suggest that the words 'donkey' and 'elevator' are interchangeable??

Your existence on this forum is becoming tiresome, your incessant whining is tiresome, your never ending defence of the indefensible is becoming tiresome and seriously, your constant crying about being personally attacked is getting tiresome!

If I were to attack you, you would damn well know about it!

Are you starting to get the drift yet?!

Skelton, as yourself, is totally free to express his opinions, aslong as it complies to forum rules, abuse etc. Constructive ways to conduct ECIR`s has been posted by Trev and others. This type of post is valuable information to new members.

Charlatan and conman are not interchangeable words, they mean entirely different things?!? This isn't pedantry towards the English language, it is correct usage of two different words!

Are you now to suggest that the words 'donkey' and 'elevator' are interchangeable??

Your existence on this forum is becoming tiresome, your incessant whining is tiresome, your never ending defence of the indefensible is becoming tiresome and seriously, your constant crying about being personally attacked is getting tiresome!

If I were to attack you, you would damn well know about it!

Are you starting to get the drift yet?!

Yawn. You are indeed being tiresome. The two words were being used interchangeably, they are of similar meaning and anyway you have to take a word in context to get it's exact meaning.

What is defensible/indefensible is entirely subjective. I can understand that the current set-up with Competent Person Schemes is costing you money, but do you need to take all your troubles out on me just because I do not have a problem with them.

Just as you are allowed your opinion, I am allowed mine.

Last edited:
Yawn. You are indeed being tiresome.

"No, you are", "no, you are", you rabbit on like a five year old child!

The two words were being used interchangeably, they are of similar meaning and anyway you have to take a word in context to get it's exact meaning.

They are NOT of similar meaning and were not being used interchangeably. If you had a better grasp of the English language you would know this!

What is defensible/indefensible is entirely subjective. I can understand that the current set-up with Competent Person Schemes is costing you money, but you do need to take all your troubles out on me just because I do not have a problem with them.

No, it's not. Is theft defensible? Is criminal damage defensible? You're talking out of your rear end yet again! You also have not the faintest clue what you're talking about! The scam schemes cost me the sum total of diddly squat because I don't pay them as I'm not a member. I'm not troubled by you, you're just the court jester here, the thing is, your jokes are getting old now and you're beginning to do my swede in! I'm not alone in this! Trust me, behind closed doors, many members of this place are beginning to despair for this forum, and your membership is pretty much one of the major reasons why!

Just as you are allowed your opinion, I am allowed mine.

You are correct, you are allowed your opinion, that doesn't automatically make it valid though does it!

Now why don't you take the hint and go?! Your opinions are clearly not wanted here!

Reply to Part P , DIYers and confusion in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net