Discuss Part P Question... Sorry! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stuuk1

I shall be rewiring my own house in a couple of week (completed on the sale yesterday).

Part P just seems an issue as its more expense which I just don't see the need for as I am a 2391 qualified electrician.

My question is, what is stopping me from having a periodic carried out when I come to sell the property (whenever that may be) instead of the expense of having it part p tested now?

Nothing ! You don't need to be company or NIC backed to fill in a periodic, just 239-1 / also 239-2 I think. Looked into this when I was doing my 239-1 sometime ago ! Although, if I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll soon be put right !

Nothing ! You don't need to be company or NIC backed to fill in a periodic, just 239-1 / also 239-2 I think. Looked into this when I was doing my 239-1 sometime ago ! Although, if I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll soon be put right !
Oh god help us....
HOW MANY MORE TIMES!!..
you DONT NEED the 2391 to carry out ECRs.....
its about COMPETANT PERSONS .....

my suggestion is that firstly a rewire is far easier with 2 sparks. so maybe get a scam member to do it with you and he can do the notification.

my suggestion is that firstly a rewire is far easier with 2 sparks. so maybe get a scam member to do it with you and he can do the notification.

A scam member? I would hardly put it that way. After all Part P is the scam... An electrician attempting to do his own job are not scammers.

If the rewire was carried out and the paperwork lost but a periodic carried out (fully tested) prior to sale, this is surely acceptable?!

I shall be rewiring my own house in a couple of week (completed on the sale yesterday).

Part P just seems an issue as its more expense which I just don't see the need for as I am a 2391 qualified electrician.

My question is, what is stopping me from having a periodic carried out when I come to sell the property (whenever that may be) instead of the expense of having it part p tested now?

The trouble is it is actually illegal to cary out works in the kitchen or bathroom if not registered unless you get building control involved which will cost you a fair sum if they get involved with the works, a periodic at a later date won't cut it with the insurance company I'm afraid.

A scam member? I would hardly put it that way. After all Part P is the scam... An electrician attempting to do his own job are not scammers.

If the rewire was carried out and the paperwork lost but a periodic carried out (fully tested) prior to sale, this is surely acceptable?!

That's what he meant scam member = someone registered with a part p membership the scam being part p

That's what he meant scam member = someone registered with a part p membership the scam being part p

Oh then I retract my comment, sorry.

So if I just get it part p'd I don't have to do anything else. Everything that is 'notifiable' has been notified if signed off by a registered member?

I'm not up to scratch with all these terms as I've never had to be..

MDJ, when has it been ILLEGAL for me to work in my own kitchen and bathroom ? I've just completely re done my own house, including kitchen and bathroom, shall I hand myself in now ?

if you carried out electrical work in your kitchen or bathroom and the house burned down you could end up inside actually, yup rollocks I know but it could happen, and your insurance company wouldn't pay out either, hand yourself in, jump in the bath, go for a walk, do what you like haha

well i am just about to buy a house. I'll be rewiring the whole place without getting involved with any of this part p nonesense. I work for an AC company and do loads of notifiable work every week all tested and certed. I am perfectly capable of rewiring my house without the input of a know nothing busybody from the labc putting his two pennyworth in. Hope that helps.

I'm not against you at all, I think it's all crap as well, just saying thats all, take it any way you like, couldn't give a flying monkey's either way.

I've just fitted a new cu as part of ongoing works into my Girlfriends mum and dads house. Using this as evidence for my NVQ I decided to do it all by the book. I personally don't belong to a scheme, (I work for an approved contractor). ÂŁ90 to notify LABC. " Send us the (generic) certs when you've finished everything, not bit by bit or it's ÂŁ90 a time, we'll send you a completion cert". It would seem that if you do a few notifiable jobs a year , it may be cheaper and less hassle to just notify LABC direct. Building control did want copies of my qualifications

if you carried out electrical work in your kitchen or bathroom and the house burned down you could end up inside actually, yup rollocks I know but it could happen, and your insurance company wouldn't pay out either, hand yourself in, jump in the bath, go for a walk, do what you like haha
But you can be prosecuted for dangerous work whether registered with a scheme or not. Being registered and notifying dangerous work does not make you immune from prosecution should anything happen. That is apart from the fact that hardly anyone has ever been prosecuted for non notification. Prosecutions only happen when the work is dangerous in the first place.

yeah your right, but if you did everything by the book and an accident happened your insurance should be valid, however not by the book at they would void the policy and a prosecution could be on the cards, anyhow jut saying, we all think part pee is a joke around here.

so do as i suggested. get a part p registered spark to do the job with you. he should be up to speed with the domestic side of things, and, as he has been involved with the job start to finish, he can notify it through his scam provider.

and @ jeremy. you must have a good labc round your way. ÂŁ90. here they want ÂŁ300 to notify them of the fitting of a bathroom fan.

Good advise thanks mate, however to keep costs down he won't do the work with me for free.. I have no money to pay the guy. He said he usually charges ÂŁ20 per circuit to test and certify but will do me a deal.

He did say he would be on hand for any questions, he may regret saying that to me!

Reply to Part P Question... Sorry! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net