Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Part P Question... Sorry! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stuuk1

I shall be rewiring my own house in a couple of week (completed on the sale yesterday).

Part P just seems an issue as its more expense which I just don't see the need for as I am a 2391 qualified electrician.

My question is, what is stopping me from having a periodic carried out when I come to sell the property (whenever that may be) instead of the expense of having it part p tested now?

Nothing ! You don't need to be company or NIC backed to fill in a periodic, just 239-1 / also 239-2 I think. Looked into this when I was doing my 239-1 sometime ago ! Although, if I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll soon be put right !

Nothing ! You don't need to be company or NIC backed to fill in a periodic, just 239-1 / also 239-2 I think. Looked into this when I was doing my 239-1 sometime ago ! Although, if I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll soon be put right !
Oh god help us....
HOW MANY MORE TIMES!!..
you DONT NEED the 2391 to carry out ECRs.....
its about COMPETANT PERSONS .....

my suggestion is that firstly a rewire is far easier with 2 sparks. so maybe get a scam member to do it with you and he can do the notification.

my suggestion is that firstly a rewire is far easier with 2 sparks. so maybe get a scam member to do it with you and he can do the notification.

A scam member? I would hardly put it that way. After all Part P is the scam... An electrician attempting to do his own job are not scammers.

If the rewire was carried out and the paperwork lost but a periodic carried out (fully tested) prior to sale, this is surely acceptable?!

I shall be rewiring my own house in a couple of week (completed on the sale yesterday).

Part P just seems an issue as its more expense which I just don't see the need for as I am a 2391 qualified electrician.

My question is, what is stopping me from having a periodic carried out when I come to sell the property (whenever that may be) instead of the expense of having it part p tested now?

The trouble is it is actually illegal to cary out works in the kitchen or bathroom if not registered unless you get building control involved which will cost you a fair sum if they get involved with the works, a periodic at a later date won't cut it with the insurance company I'm afraid.

A scam member? I would hardly put it that way. After all Part P is the scam... An electrician attempting to do his own job are not scammers.

If the rewire was carried out and the paperwork lost but a periodic carried out (fully tested) prior to sale, this is surely acceptable?!

That's what he meant scam member = someone registered with a part p membership the scam being part p

That's what he meant scam member = someone registered with a part p membership the scam being part p

Oh then I retract my comment, sorry.

So if I just get it part p'd I don't have to do anything else. Everything that is 'notifiable' has been notified if signed off by a registered member?

I'm not up to scratch with all these terms as I've never had to be..

MDJ, when has it been ILLEGAL for me to work in my own kitchen and bathroom ? I've just completely re done my own house, including kitchen and bathroom, shall I hand myself in now ?

if you carried out electrical work in your kitchen or bathroom and the house burned down you could end up inside actually, yup rollocks I know but it could happen, and your insurance company wouldn't pay out either, hand yourself in, jump in the bath, go for a walk, do what you like haha

well i am just about to buy a house. I'll be rewiring the whole place without getting involved with any of this part p nonesense. I work for an AC company and do loads of notifiable work every week all tested and certed. I am perfectly capable of rewiring my house without the input of a know nothing busybody from the labc putting his two pennyworth in. Hope that helps.

I'm not against you at all, I think it's all crap as well, just saying thats all, take it any way you like, couldn't give a flying monkey's either way.

I've just fitted a new cu as part of ongoing works into my Girlfriends mum and dads house. Using this as evidence for my NVQ I decided to do it all by the book. I personally don't belong to a scheme, (I work for an approved contractor). £90 to notify LABC. " Send us the (generic) certs when you've finished everything, not bit by bit or it's £90 a time, we'll send you a completion cert". It would seem that if you do a few notifiable jobs a year , it may be cheaper and less hassle to just notify LABC direct. Building control did want copies of my qualifications

if you carried out electrical work in your kitchen or bathroom and the house burned down you could end up inside actually, yup rollocks I know but it could happen, and your insurance company wouldn't pay out either, hand yourself in, jump in the bath, go for a walk, do what you like haha
But you can be prosecuted for dangerous work whether registered with a scheme or not. Being registered and notifying dangerous work does not make you immune from prosecution should anything happen. That is apart from the fact that hardly anyone has ever been prosecuted for non notification. Prosecutions only happen when the work is dangerous in the first place.

yeah your right, but if you did everything by the book and an accident happened your insurance should be valid, however not by the book at they would void the policy and a prosecution could be on the cards, anyhow jut saying, we all think part pee is a joke around here.

so do as i suggested. get a part p registered spark to do the job with you. he should be up to speed with the domestic side of things, and, as he has been involved with the job start to finish, he can notify it through his scam provider.

and @ jeremy. you must have a good labc round your way. £90. here they want £300 to notify them of the fitting of a bathroom fan.

Good advise thanks mate, however to keep costs down he won't do the work with me for free.. I have no money to pay the guy. He said he usually charges £20 per circuit to test and certify but will do me a deal.

He did say he would be on hand for any questions, he may regret saying that to me!

Guys - you don't have to agree with the rules or the law, but its there!

Just like when you get nicked for speeding you could argue that 'I'm perfectly safe at that speed', 'the road doesn't justify the limit', 'I know it like the back of my hand' - but you'll still be nicked and have to pay the fine!

If you ignore the law as a professional electrician I would imagine the consequences might be worse than a layman in the same predicament. Is it worth the risk?

Must read the Gizmo “Guide to Winning Friends and Influencing People”. It’s bound to be a mine of information.
A bit like this place really, unfortunately you’ve just ^$*£ it!

If you ignore the law as a professional electrician I would imagine the consequences might be worse than a layman in the same predicament. Is it worth the risk?

But there are no consequences. The only law being broken if you like is non notification which is in contravention of a building reg. The only prosecutions that I know of have been in conjunction with a prosecution for unsafe and dangerous work.
It really boils my pee that perfectly capable electricians are worried about contravening this rubbish when no-one outside the industry gives a ----.
Contrast our situation with the gas trade. It is perfectly legal for me to carry out gas work in a DIY capacity in my own home without having to inform anyone, as long as I am competant to do so. So we have the perverse situation where I as a fully qualified electrician, have to either pay a scam member or the LABC to come and inspect electrical work done by me in my home, the same work as I do on a daily basis at work and yet I can carry out gas work and noone needs to know or inspect it. Its nuts and I for one refuse to participate in this nonesense.

Having said that I dont blame anyone for wanting to do the right thing and notify. To me it says a lot about their standards of work. Just a shame the rest of the country couldn't give a monkeys.

Then why do they keep coming on here and asking about it?

You may not like it, you may ignore it but it is the law and it is quite simple.

Some advice to the Gentleman who is rewiring his own place without a Part P sign off.

When/if you sell your place beware! If the buyers' solicitor knows the house has been recently rewired, then he will ask your legal firm for the sign off documentation.

If it doesn't exist, then be prepared for your buyer to renegotiate the price down by a serious amount. Understandable because they are taking the risk and want compensation in return.

This buyers tactic that is becoming more common, particularly towards people who think they don't need to comply with building regulation.
I have to comply with reg's so why shouldn't everybody else - think the slang term for those that don't bother with the reg's is a 'cowboy'

Some advice to the Gentleman who is rewiring his own place without a Part P sign off.

When/if you sell your place beware! If the buyers' solicitor knows the house has been recently rewired, then he will ask your legal firm for the sign off documentation.

If it doesn't exist, then be prepared for your buyer to renegotiate the price down by a serious amount. Understandable because they are taking the risk and want compensation in return.

This buyers tactic that is becoming more common, particularly towards people who think they don't need to comply with building regulation.
I have to comply with reg's so why shouldn't everybody else - think the slang term for those that don't bother with the reg's is a 'cowboy'
Take it that this post is aimed at me. Cheers for the advice but I wont be selling my house for a very long time if ever so Part p rubbish aint really going to affect me but thanks for your concern anyway.
I comply with regs everyday of the week.As previously stated I work for an Approved Contractor, installing and signing off notifiable work every day of the week. But if not informing the local council busybodies about work I've done in my own home, work that I do for a living, makes me a cowboy in your eyes and it makes you feel better, then hey you go for it. I'll not lose any sleep over it.

I comply with regs everyday of the week.As previously stated I work for an Approved Contractor, installing and signing off notifiable work every day of the week. But if not informing the local council busybodies about work I've done in my own home, work that I do for a living, makes me a cowboy in your eyes and it makes you feel better, then hey you go for it. I'll not lose any sleep over it.
Then get your QS to issue the certs and notify.

If the labc are going to go after someone for not complying with Part Pee, then it is unlikely they would chose a qualified electrician who has rewired his or her own gaff competantly.

I can just see the headline in the local rag:

"Council bureaucrats waste ratepayers money taking qualified electrician to court for rewiring his own house correctly"

No one is suggesting your not a good electrician or that part pee isn't a joke here, just a warning fella that if you did do work in the kitchen or bathroom and didn't notify it and something happened you could be in for some trouble, if you want to take the risk then feel free to do so, just don't try to give us a hard time about it, your the one posting asking the question.

No one is suggesting your not a good electrician or that part pee isn't a joke here, just a warning fella that if you did do work in the kitchen or bathroom and didn't notify it and something happened you could be in for some trouble, if you want to take the risk then feel free to do so, just don't try to give us a hard time about it, your the one posting asking the question.
well i also see part p as a necessary evil Mike....
yes yes we all know its a con......but a lot of this depends of course on how much notifyable works you carry out......the more notifyable stuff you do....the less it costs...
still not fit for purpose though....

and this from someone who thinks you need to hold the C&G2391 to carry out EICRs.....lol.....lol...

Glen, apologies for the way I was speaking to you and the others last night, I'd had a few and sometimes some of the statements that people come out with as fact on here makes me want to scream !
In answer to the statement i'd made, it was meant that anyone with a 239-1 can sign off their own house. But I also agree with your statement about not needing it to test a job, so long as the QA counter signs the cert too.

ha ha
Wrong end of the stick pal

Glen, apologies for the way I was speaking to you and the others last night, I'd had a few and sometimes some of the statements that people come out with as fact on here makes me want to scream !
In answer to the statement i'd made, it was meant that anyone with a 239-1 can sign off their own house. But I also agree with your statement about not needing it to test a job, so long as the QA counter signs the cert too.
well look, never mind about that....i can be a bit curt in here n all......
the only requirement for part pee (unfortunately) is the 17th edition....and deep pockets...sigh...
the C&G 2391 is a well respected qual to have as its old school written (unlike the 17th edition)...which is an online guess....
my advice to you would be as others in here have already mentioned......that is to get a part p registered electrician who will not just be able to sign off the works carried out.....but will also be able to guide you through it all as well.....
look at it like this....after the work is done....you may feel you want to register with a scam yourself.....there again you may not.....:biggrin:

What you should do is contact your local LABC, discuss your experience and qualifications with them and if they are OK about you doing it then you'll have to part with some money and at the end of the rewire your new home will be rewired and compliant.

I appreciate that you want to save money but bypassing the LABC could cost you dearly in time.

No doubt you'll be stuffing your new home with TV's, gizmos etc so do the right thing and spend the little it'll cost to do it right.

I once did a job by notifying through labc before i was with a body, The guy came out from bradford council, he told me he and another guy in oxford are the only qualified sparks to work in the council labc in the uk, he popped up to the bathroom looked at my work, and i mean looked he just stood in the doorway and looked about, never took a downlighter out to check they were 12v never checked the extractor or anything, he just said post your minor works cert in to me and i'll sign it off, again didnt ask for qualifications or nowt, can't remember what i payed though!
currently on with 5 apartments new conversions and labc just said to us i dont care how you do it i just want a certificate in my hand my job is just a paper trail.

Reply to Part P Question... Sorry! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net