Discuss PAT Testing Games Consoles in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sweetcheeks82

Hi, advice needed. PLEASE
Apart from a visual on the power supply, are there any other tests that can be done on a games console (ps2, gamecube etc)?

Thanks

Hi, advice needed. PLEASE
Apart from a visual on the power supply, are there any other tests that can be done on a games console (ps2, gamecube etc)?

Thanks

I presume that the appliance is class 2. If so, and if the appliance is in an office or the like, my understanding is that a full test is not necessary. BUT with the proviso that a formal visual recorded inspection is made. Personally, I would ask to see their records before not doing a test.

I presume that the appliance is class 2. If so, and if the appliance is in an office or the like, my understanding is that a full test is not necessary. BUT with the proviso that a formal visual recorded inspection is made. Personally, I would ask to see their records before not doing a test.
Thank you. yes its class 2 and its in an office.
no previous records from electrians, they didnt even keep a register.
thanks again.

I have come across quite a few external block type psu's over the years that are cracked and damaged and the damage is not easily visible because its a crack along the moulded seam of the device .Many offices are not angels when it comes to how they treat their kit and im not convinced that this ..if its in an office dont need tested attitude is a good idea .I havent read the cop4 whats the latest on the dumbing down of plug top fuses did they get away from only two /three ratings for everything ?

I have come across quite a few external block type psu's over the years that are cracked and damaged and the damage is not easily visible because its a crack along the moulded seam of the device .Many offices are not angels when it comes to how they treat their kit and im not convinced that this ..if its in an office dont need tested attitude is a good idea .I havent read the cop4 whats the latest on the dumbing down of plug top fuses did they get away from only two /three ratings for everything ?

The CoP4 and the HSE websites are interesting to read because there are those people who take one sentence and do not read any further. The HSE advice is more than "in an office, testing on class 2 appliances is not necessary".

The CoP4 has a recommended frequency of inspection chart and, again, there are some people who just look at the full test column.

My view is that, if you read both carefully, there are times when you will need to perform a full test.

Having seen several block psu's which have failed, knowing that my company does not perform visual recorded checks, with 70 permanent staff, 50 summer staff and some 1,000 volunteers, my opinion is that these full tests must be done. However, that is specific to this company as my advice would be different for other situations.

What your saying is sod the visual test get straight to the functional testing for a couple of hours :)

LOL!!!!

Because no-one in my company will do the formal visual recorded inspection, I insist on the full test being done for class 2 appliances. If you read the HSE guidance, the full test is not required where the formal visual recorded inspection is being made. Added to which, my company have some 1,000 volunteers of all ages who give their time free to this charity.

Reply to PAT Testing Games Consoles in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net