Discuss Phone line hit by lightning in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sounds like a lot of waffle to me.
This is an electrician's forum. Posts based in common knowledge. Concepts also understood by informed homeowners. Nothing is complicated or expensive. Better is to spend larger sums on magic boxes if you cannot ask relevant questions.

For better details, obviously first describe what exists. Nobody is going to spoon feed you. Where is your earth ground? How is it wired? How long is the connection (more than 3 meters)? Otherwise answers must obviously remain generic.

Provided were terms and names sufficient for any informed consumer to obtain a superior solution. Do you know what an earth ground is? Confusion replies imply you do not. And no idea how electricity enters the house. It explains why your questions beg for 'spoon fed' answers.

For many, earthing a 'whole house' is a complete answer. Why must I say more? How many basic concept need be taught?

This is an electrician's forum. Posts based in common knowledge. Concepts also understood by informed homeowners. Nothing is complicated or expensive. Better is to spend larger sums on magic boxes if you cannot ask relevant questions.

For better details, obviously first describe what exists. Nobody is going to spoon feed you. Where is your earth ground? How is it wired? How long is the connection (more than 3 meters)? Otherwise answers must obviously remain generic.

Provided were terms and names sufficient for any informed consumer to obtain a superior solution. Do you know what an earth ground is? Confusion replies imply you do not. And no idea how electricity enters the house. It explains why your questions beg for 'spoon fed' answers.

For many, earthing a 'whole house' is a complete answer. Why must I say more? How many basic concept need be taught?

I know what an 'earth' is, yes. I know how electricity enters the house, yes. I also know what waffle is, yes. I don't want a spoon-fed answer, I was just interested to know what your cheap method of protecting the average house against a direct strike without using lightning rods. If you want me to be less generic, then a 2 bedroom semi-detached house made of double skin brick/block and with a TNC-S electrical system. There is gravel on the drive and a small conifer near the front door. Daz

I know what an 'earth' is, yes. I know how electricity enters the house, yes. I also know what waffle is, yes. I don't want a spoon-fed answer, I was just interested to know what your cheap method of protecting the average house against a direct strike without using lightning rods.
Go to web sites for the many previously listed companies. Identify their 'whole house' protectors. Or visit many electrical supply houses to learn which ones they stock.

Then measure a connecting wire to earth ground. How long is it? Did you see a repeated reference to 'less than 3 meters'? Is the significance obvious? Is your ground a 'single point earth ground'? That need and what it is also should be obvious. If not, then you were not asking any relevant questions.

Do you know the difference between any earth ground and single point earth ground? Your first sentence should have said, "I have a TNC-S service". And a long list of details about that service, the BT connection, where each wire enters the house, and the meters for each wire length. With minimal knowledge, you also know the double skin brick/block and gravel driveway is completely irrelevant.

You did not ask right questions apparently due to confusion of basic electrical concepts. So you need to be fed details that are suppose to be common knowledge here.

Links provided even though names and relevant words (ie 'whole house') were long ago available to find them. Too many other examples exist to list:
Furse lightning protectors for mains supplies and power distribution systems
http://www.keison.co.uk/products/bowthorpe/dsp.pdf
TDC Zone C Transient Voltage Suppression

Magic boxes work only when connected properly to what does all protection - single point earth ground. As also explained many times previously. So what kind of earth ground do you have? A fact needed long ago to have answers that are not generic.

Go on then, what was wrong with my sentence 'and with a TNC-S electrical system' ? Daz

Reply to Phone line hit by lightning in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net