Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss PIR code help please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. jedisparks

jedisparks Electrician's Arms

Hi all

just after a couple of opinions on PIR codes

generally im using the ESC good practice guide as a base for my PIR coding but there are couple im not sure about:

this is for a factory:

A 3 phase machine isolator supplying 2 seperate machines (code 4)

A 3 phase circuit breaker supplying 2 pieces of equipment, they are totally different, one is a set of roller doors and the other is a saw (code 4)

A 3 phase machine connected without an isolator seperating all poles before the machine. (code 4)

None are particularly dangerous, what do you think?

Many thanks in advance

2. nickblake

nickblake Trusted Advisor

in factory conditions id Code 1 the lot reason being , you siwtch off an isolator thats supplying 2 machines you could put the person operating the other machine at risk , same with the roller doors and saw if you isolate the doors when a guy is cutting a piece of wood , he could also be put at risk ,and the last one if an incident happend on a machine guy got his hand stuck in it how do you switch it off isolate , also point out that all these machines should have emergency stop buttons etc

3. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

Not sure on this one....as far as I can see there is nothing in Bs7671 to prevent an isolator serving more than one machine,unless I am missing something in which case please quote the reg.....I cant see how it can be a code 1,as long as the isolator is clearly labelled as to what it isolates.Regarding a potential danger from isolating another machine,the same thing could happen if each machine has it's own isolator but not labelled,and the wrong isolator was turned off.
    Clear labelling is the key....if the isolators are properly labelled no code..(unless I'm missing the reg in 7671.If you are going to code it 4 there has to be a reg it does not comply with,132.15.2 is the best I can see but does not specifically state that an isolator can only serve one motor.)....if the isolators are not labelled code 2.

4. nickblake

IT comes under electrical sepereation : Provided for one item of current using equipment , sorry cant give you the reg no as apprentices is in college tonight and hes nicked my regs

5. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

I think nickblake made some excellent common sense points

It may not be actually written that an isolator cant be used, but the installation should be constructed so has to prevent danger to the user

That danger can come from the points he made
    Also the circuits should have adequate overcurrent protection for the supply and for each machines seperate supply and, I would say individual means of isolation.even if that isolation were present,the danger that nick points out would be still there(unless the isolator for the 2 were locked in the on position )

6. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

Not sure I agree with you on this one Nick, Electrical Seperation is where a piece of current using equipmnet is afforded the fault protection method of being electrically seperate from the source earth, a shaver socket for example.

7. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Yes I agree and I think ups comes under it

8. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

It does indeed.

9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i agree mainly with nick, regs apart, if there is any potential danger to personnel, code1. IMHO

10. nickblake

At this moment im banging my head against my desk , i need a day off , .......................... Sorry chaps i made an error on this one , having said that when working in the industrial sector and seen some very close calls , electrical isolation for instance ,inconvieniance , if a machine is faulty you loose 2 machines , but with some of the machines especially big band saws with ES and electronic brakes you switch the supply off and you could be in big trouble , there was a point made about labling and i 100% agree with that ,bt as we know we know what it means does the guy working on the machine or in a panic situation thats realy the point i was making , i will throw my hand up i did make an error

11. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

@Nick, Dont worry about it, I agree with the points you made regarding isolation particularly with industrial machines involved.

12. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

A code 1 has to represent a real and immediate danger.....I cant agree that is the case here, but a code 2 may well be justified IMO,it is down to the inspector at the end of the day though.

13. nickblake

14. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Nick, that quote you pasted had me thinking ,"I'm sure i didn't say that"
    then it twigged
    I cant write in red :)

15. nickblake

Sorry about that des lol fingers not quite sure what the brains saying at the mo lol Red ink make me feel as im back in school supose i am the forums great for info thanks to the guys that runs it