Discuss PIR code help please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

If in a domestic situation, with a consumer unit in an easily accessible position, I'd record missing blanks as a code 1.

If however it's in a factory/commercial installation at high level or within a locked mains cupboard, I'd go with a code 2.

The ESC codes are there as a guide but really, we are carrying out a mini risk assessment every time we allocate a code to a defect.

For me, a code 1 is an IMMEDIATE danger like an exposed live part, signs of overload etc.

A code 2 is potential for danger-something else has to happen before the danger becomes immediate.

That's how I apply my code logic but it is YOUR report and YOUR name on it!

I dont want to start a new thread for this but just wodered what you'd code a socket that was fixed upside down under a kitchen worktop with washing machine pluged in?

Plug top is not sitting flush into socket as the cable and downward force is lifting it out slightly..Would you code it?

I agree with malcome , you do remove sockets and switches to inspect the wiring during an inspection do that one and fit it correctly

Yes I agree with you also, but this is cable clipped along the underside of the kitchen worktop, into a patress fixed upside down with a 13a single socket.. I'm not there to be doing any remedial work. Pulling it back and fixing it correctly back on the wall.. I'm just reporting what I see and wondered what you might code if any

I would probably put it down as code 4 (does not comply),in the periodic tick boxes (connection of accessories i think),or something of that kind,this would sound as though it is not

Late to respond to the machine question I know but my take on it is that the code should be a 1.

The rational behiind this what if one the the two items causes the protective device to trip? The second item will also cut out with possible consequences. Conversely when the protective device is reactivated after the fault is fixed it may be that both connect circuits then cause operation.

Not being completely ofay with the installation these are just observations.

Code 1 as in 'immediate danger' eg. exposed live part etc?

That configuration will in all likelihood run without incident for as long as it is needed, code 2 for me, leaning towards 4 if isolators etc labelled to suit.

Reply to PIR code help please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net