Discuss Plastic chrome light switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes i remember this, somebody found a reg that said it didnt matter for the screws. Ive just done an EICR on a house with all lights earthed, but switch back boxes arent, and the house has all exposed oak beams and floor boards and no real voids to re wire it without being very destructive. Havnt yet decided what to do
Not aimed at your post specifically, these clients with oak beams and expensive flooring, but with 60 + year old wiring, most realise at some point it has to be done.

I don't understand people who spend small fortunes on new kitchens & bathrooms, panoramic sliding doors, extensions etc etc, but don't want to pay to upgrade the infrastructure of a property.

I agree with @westward10 not withstanding you need to earn a crust, some times we are just pandering to these people.

Not aimed at your post specifically, these clients with oak beams and expensive flooring, but with 60 + year old wiring, most realise at some point it has to be done.

Theyre both late 70's and are totally happy for me to do whatever is required to make it safe.

Do they have class 1 switches
Theyre all plastic, but the back boxs dont have the plastic lugs, so screw heads are exposed, somebody definitely found a reg on this ages ago though as brianmoore mentioned further up this thread.

If i could confirm that that would be good

Thread was in the last few weeks, not ages ago.
You could fit plastic screws (mine came from RS ), but check that they are metric and not BA, if the boxes are equally old

Theyre both late 70's and are totally happy for me to do whatever is required to make it safe.

Theyre all plastic, but the back boxs dont have the plastic lugs, so screw heads are exposed, somebody definitely found a reg on this ages ago though as brianmoore mentioned further up this thread.

If i could confirm that that would be good
410.3.9 (iii)?

I was rather surprised to read the pre-1966 regulations.
(ix) Lighting fittings using filament lamps installed in a room having a non-conducting floor, mounted at such a height that they cannot readily be touched and are out of reach of earthed metal.
So you can't use LED lights without an earth even before 1966, and the switches clearly still needed an earth.

Reply to Plastic chrome light switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net