Discuss Plastic to metal in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Have a customer who's house has CU (2001) with MCBs
she wants plastic switches and sockets changed to metal.
earths are all present and correct..
saftey checked 2008 and passed..
can this be done without fitting an RCD protected board?

be interested in opinions

cheers

Starting to doubt myself!!!
My opinion is as you say "of course"
shes had two other sparks saying she needs new CU with RCD
Gut feeling they're trying it on so was just feeling the water for opinions before I jump in both feet.

If it was installed in 2001 it should have had RCDs on the sockets anyway.
However changing an accessory does not necessitate RCD protection, it might be an idea to recommend it as a safety measure even if it was just an RCBO for that circuit, but that is their choice.

maybe he wanted to make sure he is doing all he can do to avoid anyone getting a lethal shock? Or maybe he thought a house in 2015 without rcd protection is pushing your luck a bit?

If that was the case he could certainly recommend upgrading the cu, but it doesnt HAVE to be done before this work is carried out, if it was my job i wouldnt even mention it, its just like for like swap

If that was the case he could certainly recommend upgrading the cu, but it doesn't HAVE to be done before this work is carried out, if it was my job I wouldn't even mention it, its just like for like swap

If you do try to push for a CU change, you risk loosing the job altogether as the first 2 Sparks are about to find out.

Last edited:
Really if you are replacing socket outlets then an SRCD should be considered if it is impracticable to provide it for the circuit, after all general use socket outlets themselves require RCD protection irrespective of the wiring system used.

Have a customer who's house has CU (2001) with MCBs
she wants plastic switches and sockets changed to metal.
earths are all present and correct..
saftey checked 2008 and passed..
can this be done without fitting an RCD protected board?

be interested in opinions

cheers
Question for you?

Would you install metal sockets in your house and not have RCD protection?

If that was the case he could certainly recommend upgrading the cu, but it doesnt HAVE to be done before this work is carried out, if it was my job i wouldnt even mention it, its just like for like swap

its part of the job to assess the current state of the installation and if you would just change the switch without advising the client then your not really doing your job properly

Reply to Plastic to metal in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net