Discuss Plumbers replacing electric showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KevinS

Hi,
ive been tasked with writing a 'standard operation sheet' for plumbers to replace electric showers safely.

at the moment they are replacing showers with no test gear, then the electrician is following behind doing a Zs

my concern is; they turn it off at the dp switch and remove the shower, I am not happy that it is dead when they turn if off as they have no method of checking. There may be a fault on the dp switch and they would not know

is this an acceptable procedure
remove cover of shower.
turn shower on by double pole switch,
VOLTSTICK (yes I know) will indicate,
if volt stick does NOT indicate, stop and wait for advice off an electrician
turn off by dp switch, VOLTSTICK will stop indicating,
if VOLTSTICK does not stop indicating, stop and wait for electrician
switch breaker off at board and proceed

i know what you are going to say, but the company won't pay for test gear for 20+ plumbers, hence the VOLTSTICK idea.

is this classed as safe enough, it's safer than what's happening now,
cheers

i dont think I would be happy signing my name to that "safety operation sheet" . I dont know the legal implcations but should someone get hurt that could make you liable, if the company want to cut corners then let them write the sheet.

If one of your plumbers dies doing these changes without being competent, it will be interesting to see what the company stance will be when they are in court and asked why they were not supplying test equipment? The phrase it was to expensive won't cut it.
Ben

Or why don't they just switch the breaker off, rather than at the isolator, if in doubt get an electrician in, but even a voltage tester as mentioned before would be better than a volt stick alone. They would need a proving unit to prove the volt stick is working correctly.

I agree with u all
i did state that they were to prove the VOLTSTICK first before going any further by making sure it works on 1st test, I also have them switching off the dp switch and the breaker.

i know, 'can of worms springs' to mind

Mate for the sake of £30.00 to potentially save a life it's a no brainer.

If the spark has to go in after the plumber anyway then why not pair them up and have the best of both. Or alternatively have the sparks do the complete job.

Mate for the sake of £30.00 to potentially save a life it's a no brainer.

If the spark has to go in after the plumber anyway then why not pair them up and have the best of both. Or alternatively have the sparks do the complete job.

Too logical.

Nice try, but no coconut.

can you please re post the question after a few plumbers have been killed. there's far too many of them around, but never when you need one.

Testing for dead with a volt stick ? I did that once. I do miss those side cutters.
Anything you sign your name to has got to refer to proper safe isolation procedure and be carried out with proper approved testers. Anything less and your arse is hanging out in the breeze imho.

In my experience volt sticks are the most unreliable set of test gear on the market, not just the cheap ones even the fluke and ethos ones i have owned have been terrible for reliability. Also switching off at dp isnt acceptable, how can plumber know someone isnt going to turn back on whilst he's working on it (unlikely i know but possible). Your best option is to get a copy of the electricians safe isolation procedure and use that on your sheet. Its a bit OTT with regards to locking off mcb's etc and placing sign over consumer unit but for covering your own back it is the best option rather than just telling them to isolate at dp. Hope this is of some help to you

can you please re post the question after a few plumbers have been killed. there's far too many of them around, but never when you need one.

No, No, No, Tel.

Just keep posting an updated tally.

Why does an experienced electrician need a plumber?

To the OP. Are you going to put you're name to this procedure? If you do, you are a fool.

I suggest reading GS 38 on to find out what a approved voltage tester is. The re read your post and see if you can see what is wrong with your post.

I can see what's wrong with it, I did mention turning off dp switch and the breaker, I also did mention 'can of worms'.
at the moment they are taking them out with no testing whatsoever

tell your tight-arsed employers to pay for a spark to carry out the electrical side of the job instead of penny pinching. let the plumbers stick to what they do best. ........ shifting sh**, slagging everbody off, drowning customers.

Blunt saw springs to mind.

No offence intended, but to the O.P what experience / training do you have to prepare S.O.P. (procedures)

totally honest here, never wrote any procedures before, was asked today to 'knock up a sheet for the plumbers', that's why I came on here asking the question.

I can see what's wrong with it, I did mention turning off dp switch and the breaker, I also did mention 'can of worms'.
at the moment they are taking them out with no testing whatsoever

So basically your employer has realised the downfall of this and decided they need a scapegoat.

The reason safe isolation procedures suggest using a approved tester is for a reason, not because someone wants to be awkward. Think I may have PDF somewhere stating the correct procedure, I will post it up over the weekend so you can then give it to the plumbers safe in the knowledge it will be done correctly.

Reply to Plumbers replacing electric showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net