Discuss Plumbing in a dishwasher and washing machine. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dish washer and washing machine on same double socket.
Definately not.

Regs may say yes. I say NO.

I would put good money on that socket will melt and burn out. Far too big a load on one double socket.

@brianmoooore spot on, bad practice. But I disagree with the “unlikely to cause problems”. My money is on melted socket.

as for it being a spur. That is not relevant. 2.5 mm cable will cope with the load. It’s the socket that won’t.

just my opinion.

guidance. And I repeat the word is “ guidance” recommends any appliance over 2 Kw should be on its own dedicated circuit.

Pirate's point is an important one. Spur (as I assumed), or spur off of a spur?
If I was doing the job, I'd fit 2 x 1G13A sockets in a dual pattress, but this technically means that one socket is a spur off of a spur (which is not allowed), while the overloaded 2G socket is.
Hi thanks for reply this is a single socket for for washing machine which is spur off ring maln assume I’m trying to get power to a dishwasher my only other option is a double socket which is supplying a hob ignition and a electric oven and swop for triple socket this again is a spur

Is the spur fused or unfused? I don't think we've discussed that. If it is fused this is not going to work at all.

If unfused, then it will work but as @Paignton pete points out, many double sockets will be at their thermal limit when both heating elements are on and might have a shortened life. While I agree with that, I think there is more chance of the individual plugs overheating due to their own bad contact and fuse dissipation, than due to the combined load of the two on one double socket. Provided the socket is a top quality one I would not worry as much as if one of the loads was a dryer. That would definitely be pushing one's luck.

my only other option is a double socket which is supplying a hob ignition and a electric oven and swop for triple socket this again is a spur

This won't work. 3-gang sockets are internally fused to 13A total because they are not 'single points' as per BS1363.

For my own purposes I would go with @brianmoooore's suggestion. Note however Pete's last point that you are clocking up some significant load on this ring (oven, washer, dishwasher) and if there are other large loads, (dryer, microwave), you have used up most of its capacity even allowing for diversity, when some of it really ought to be hived off to separate radials. OTOH, most of our house including all the above and a lot more ran on one 30A BS3036 for 30 years.

So you have a single socket, and want to make it into a double? If so, fit double pattress and a 1G socket in each.
As I wrote above, technically contrary to regs, but safe.
So you have a single socket, and want to make it into a double? If so, fit double pattress and a 1G socket in each.
As I wrote above, technically contrary to regs, but safe.
How do I screw both gangs in

A big sign saying “don’t run washing machine and dishwasher at the same time!”
Thing is, there's only excess current drawn when both appliances are heating water at the same time. Dishwasher heats water for fairly long periods during it's cycle, but washing machines, with modern 'green' detergents and low temperature cycles are only drawing high currents for very short periods.

Thing is, there's only excess current drawn when both appliances are heating water at the same time. Dishwasher heats water for fairly long periods during it's cycle, but washing machines, with modern 'green' detergents and low temperature cycles are only drawing high currents for very short periods.
Without knowing exactly when each appliance is on its heating cycle…. Better just to have one on at a time.

Thanks for your help I will do that but I can’t understand the difference between this dual pattrass and double socket
t5he one you will be used to is for a double socket. the one he's referring to is slightly wider with a divider and inboard lugs so as to accept 2 single sockets side by side. reason for using 2 singles is that a single socket is rated 20A whweas a double is 20A total for both sides.
see pic.

1660202374348.png

Reply to Plumbing in a dishwasher and washing machine. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net