Discuss Potential Fire Alarm System in guesthouse in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkykarl

Can someone help me please.

I`ve been asked to quote for a full electrical installation in a guesthouse including fire safety system and emergency lighting.

Do I need to design it as if a disabled occupent could be in that guesthouse. For example if they are deaf obviously a sounder would be no good.

So a visual or physical vibrating pad in the beds is feasable.

You would need to design the alarm so it has a min of 65 db at bed head sounder beacons could be installed in rooms to give a visual warning as well as audible hope this helps

It does but my concern is if they are deaf and asleep. Ive installed vibrating pads that are connected to the fire system in a disabled access room in a hotel before but I just need to know if its required or a case of put it in just to cover ya ---

Firstly, is this a commercial guest house you are talking about..assuming you are..or is this a domestic guesthouse?

The reason is that there are most certainly different regulations involved for both and if this is a commercial guest house then I would suggest you speak to your local fire officer, as it would need signing off anyway, and find out what he/she would expect to find and what standard they would expect it to meet. The DDA regs will apply if this is a commercial property. I am no expert on spec'ing fire alarms but one of the experienced Guys can certainly give you pointers, however I would expect flasher sounder bases would meet both needs...but I could be wrong here.

How many bedrooms in the Guesthouse, is it on one or two floors, are the rooms all en-suite, do the owners live on the premises there are many factors to consider IMO

What's the difference " a commercial guest house you are talking about..assuming you are..or is this a domestic guesthouse?" ?????

My main roll is to design these type of alarms IMO I would be covering the basics ie installing sounder beacons unless they have speced vibrating pads you will never be able to design a alarm for every scenario as you don't know who will be in these rooms (unless it is a designated disabled room) the main thing here would be to find out what category alarm this is ie L1/2/3 P1/2/3 and design accordingly anything outside of this spec should be listed in deviations and agreed with the client

First of all a full fire risk assessment must be conducted, the areas to consider here are BS5839 part 1 and DDA, I would suggest a full L1 system will be required, with the design covering DDA with strobe sounders with toilet areas. This will be standard....If Risk is to include occupancy for guests with hearing difficulties, then the simple solution is to issue pages to guests, the pages are widly used in hotels, and have the main features of 1. they cannot be turned off, 2. they must vibrate, under pillows and within pockets. 3 range test must enable all pages to operate within the hotel area. If not a licence pager will be required.

What's the difference " a commercial guest house you are talking about..assuming you are..or is this a domestic guesthouse?" ?????

There is a world of difference. If the guesthouse was domestic, that is it was a home or similar that was for the sole use of your own personal guests then it is a domestic premises, but if this is a commercial venture and will have fee paying guests then all the rules multiply in nature ten fold because with domestic the fire regulations only apply when it's being built and not moving on, but with commercial you have all the HSAW, MHSAW, EAWA and a whole raft of other regulations that must be taken into account, but especially local and nation fire regulations and the DDA regs.

Reply to Potential Fire Alarm System in guesthouse in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net