Discuss potterton 2 ultra 2 dv programer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 72422

Hi was wondering if anyone could help or knew someone who could help us.
The programmer has gone kaput in our potterton 2 ultra 2 dv programmer boiler
We can not get hold of a replacement :(
Does anyone know of anyone capable of ( if it is possible to do so ) fitting a generic programmer or mechanical switching in newton abbot.
Otherwise the local plumbers said it is new boiler time for us.
Cheers:smiley2:

Hi was wondering if anyone could help or knew someone who could help us.
The programmer has gone kaput in our potterton 2 ultra 2 dv programmer boiler
We can not get hold of a replacement :(
Does anyone know of anyone capable of ( if it is possible to do so ) fitting a generic programmer or mechanical switching in newton abbot.
Otherwise the local plumbers said it is new boiler time for us.
Cheers:smiley2:

"Hello magletti",

It is definitely NOT correct that you will need a New Boiler just because the Internal / Built in Programmer has failed in your Potterton Ultra 2 Boiler !

Although I am not an Electrician - I am a Heating Engineer - I can tell You categorically that almost ANY External Programmer[2 Channel] can be installed / wired up to your Potterton Ultra 2 System Boiler.

The Wiring Diagrams are in the Boiler Installation Instructions - If You don`t have these here is a Link to where You can download a PDF Copy:

http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Potterton/POTTERTON ULTRA 2 30,40,50,60,80 .pdf

If You - Or your `Plumber`/ Heating Engineer finds the Electrical section You will see the details for Wiring the Boiler with an EXTERNAL Programmer - i.e: one that is NOT fitted into the Boiler.

There are many Manufacturers of these - I favour Honeywell Controls but there are also Danfoss - Drayton and many others.

However - After the `Diagnosis` / `Technical Opinion` from your `Plumbers` - When You find the wiring details I think that you would be better off getting a Professional Electrician to rewire your Potterton Ultra 2 Boiler to the New External Programmer.

I hope that this is helpful to You - it will probably be a couple of Thousand of Pounds cheaper than installing a New Boiler !

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer - Gas Engineer - Plumber / Heating, Plumbing and Gas Contractor

Last edited:
"Hello magletti",

It is definitely NOT correct that you will need a New Boiler just because the Internal / Built in Programmer has failed in your Potterton Ultra 2 Boiler !

Although I am not an Electrician - I am a Heating Engineer - I can tell You categorically that almost ANY External Programmer[2 Channel] can be installed / wired up to your Potterton Ultra 2 System Boiler.

The Wiring Diagrams are in the Boiler Installation Instructions - If You don`t have these here is a Link to where You can download a PDF Copy:

http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Potterton/POTTERTON ULTRA 2 30,40,50,60,80 .pdf

If You - Or your `Plumber`/ Heating Engineer finds the Electrical section You will see the details for Wiring the Boiler with an EXTERNAL Programmer - i.e: one that is NOT fitted into the Boiler.

There are many Manufacturers of these - I favour Honeywell Controls but there are also Danfoss - Drayton and many others.

However - After the `Diagnosis` / `Technical Opinion` from your `Plumbers` - When You find the wiring details I think that you would be better off getting a Professional Electrician to rewire your Potterton Ultra 2 Boiler to the New External Programmer.

I hope that this is helpful to You - it will probably be a couple of Thousand of Pounds cheaper than installing a New Boiler !

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer - Gas Engineer - Plumber / Heating, Plumbing and Gas Contractor

Many thanks for all your help I will be looking into this asap!!!

Many thanks for all your help I will be looking into this asap!!!

"Hello again magletti",

Please let Me know with a Post on here how You get on - I hate the idea that someone would tell you that a New Boiler is required just because you cannot get another `Built in` / Internal Programmer for the Potterton Ultra 2 Boiler.

Obviously I am stating this from the view that the internal programmer which has `Failed` is the ONLY problem with the Boiler - ?

I have NOT researched the fact that these Internal Programmer cannot be obtained - I take it that You will have looked around.

I hope that My noticing your Post will have resulted in You NOT being convinced to have a New Boiler installed as this is definitely NOT required just because of the Programmer.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

Cheers Chris

I fix computers and you get a similar thing with them unfortunately. Unnecessary software sold for un-related problems, all to eager to get you to buy a new computer for a faulty component.

We were under the impression the programmer was akin to the motherboard in a PC and the boiler would not function without it.

I am glad you enlightened us!

I think it is a universal trait that there is money to be made where there is a lack of knowledge!!

Many thanks again and will post up the result of your help

Cheers Chris

I fix computers and you get a similar thing with them unfortunately. Unnecessary software sold for un-related problems, all to eager to get you to buy a new computer for a faulty component.

We were under the impression the programmer was akin to the motherboard in a PC and the boiler would not function without it.

I am glad you enlightened us!

I think it is a universal trait that there is money to be made where there is a lack of knowledge!!

Many thanks again and will post up the result of your help

"Hello again magletti",

I have heard quite a lot about people recommending unnecessary Software etc. for Computers and although that can obviously be quite costly - NOT as `Costly` as a NEW Boiler - what You were told about probably needing a NEW Boiler is basically FRAUD !

I can see how you could be convinced that an Integral Component / the Built in Programmer NOT being available [have You checked this ?] would render the Boiler irreparable - especially when told this by your `Plumbers`.

This could have been a VERY Expensive piece of BAD Advice !

I am fairly sure that those `Plumbers` would have tried to charge You at least £2000.00 to replace your Boiler !

Good luck in getting a Professional Electrician to install an External Programmer and wire it to your Potterton Ultra 2 Boiler.

I look forward to reading that this has been done and that your Boiler / Heating & Hot Water System is working again.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

"Hello again magletti",

I have heard quite a lot about people recommending unnecessary Software etc. for Computers and although that can obviously be quite costly - NOT as `Costly` as a NEW Boiler - what You were told about probably needing a NEW Boiler is basically FRAUD !

I can see how you could be convinced that an Integral Component / the Built in Programmer NOT being available [have You checked this ?] would render the Boiler irreparable - especially when told this by your `Plumbers`.

This could have been a VERY Expensive piece of BAD Advice !

I am fairly sure that those `Plumbers` would have tried to charge You at least £2000.00 to replace your Boiler !

Good luck in getting a Professional Electrician to install an External Programmer and wire it to your Potterton Ultra 2 Boiler.

I look forward to reading that this has been done and that your Boiler / Heating & Hot Water System is working again.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

"Hello again magletti",

Please don`t be offended by this - just in case My explanations about the `External Programmer` were not detailed enough:

When I state `External Programmer` - can I take it that You know I mean an Electronic Programmer that will be fitted to a Wall or other suitable location near the Boiler and has to be wired to the Boiler - not a Programmer that can take the place of the existing Internal / Integral Programmer that is fitted into the Boiler.

The existing `Built - in` Programmer wiring would be unplugged from its `Plug - in` connections within the Boiler - the wires should be Cut Off to prevent future confusion - and for appearence purposes you will probably need to just leave the Programmer in place on the Boiler - unless You have the `Blanking Plate` that was taken Off in order to Fit the Programmer - ?

If this was obvious to You then I hope that the above will help another Reader of this information in the future.

Regards,

Chris

"Hello magletti",

Regards,

"Hello magletti",

I was hoping that You would have let Us / Me know the outcome of your Boiler / External Programmer required problem.

Could You please post an Update on here - Just to let Me know whether My advice helped You or not.

I hope that You managed to arrange for a Professional Electrician to install an External Programmer as I suggested and that solved your `Boiler needs to be replaced` [!] problem - ?

We encourage people to please update the Forum when they have been given `Good Advice` - especially in case such as Yours - where I believe that My Advice about you NOT requiring a New Boiler will have saved you perhaps £2000.00 with a Heating Engineer - or much more with one of the Larger Boiler Installation Companies.

Regards,

Chris

"Hello magletti",

I was hoping that You would have let Us / Me know the outcome of your Boiler / External Programmer required problem.

Could You please post an Update on here - Just to let Me know whether My advice helped You or not.

I hope that You managed to arrange for a Professional Electrician to install an External Programmer as I suggested and that solved your `Boiler needs to be replaced` [!] problem - ?

We encourage people to please update the Forum when they have been given `Good Advice` - especially in case such as Yours - where I believe that My Advice about you NOT requiring a New Boiler will have saved you perhaps £2000.00 with a Heating Engineer - or much more with one of the Larger Boiler Installation Companies.

Regards,

Chris

"Hello magletti",

Could You please let Me / Us know what happened regarding You having an External Programmer installed on your Heating System / Boiler.

I am disappointed that you have not replied to my other request for an Update.

As You will have received `reminder Emails` from the Forum when I have written a message to You on this thread - because you posted your original question on here - I am a bit surprised that You have not replied.

My original answer to You could have been the reason why you saved at least £2000 - by NOT having a New Boiler etc. installed - I would have thought that merited an `Update` on here from You - ?

Please don`t be offended by this - I am just wondering how You got on regarding getting your Heating and Hot Water working again.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to potterton 2 ultra 2 dv programer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net