Discuss Pricing for a job need help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So the same as being self employed.... when you've got your own van, expenses, holiday, sick pay, evenings..... somethings not quite adding up here....🤨
Ah well I'm sure your next question is how much do I earn....I will save you the bother of typing....last year my take home pay was a little over £8000.00....now it makes sense?

Ah well I'm sure your next question is how much do I earn....I will save you the bother of typing....last year my take home pay was a little over £8000.00....now it makes sense?
Brian. Something is MORE than wrong .

Few questions !!

1. What sort or work do you do?
2. How many hours per week are you doing ?
3.Have you a expensive van lease etc etc ?
5. Are you travelling miles per day to get to jobs ?

others can throw in questions ! But again, something does not make sense . Biggest saving I made years ago was NOT having a van . Bloody waste of time these days for domestic jobs . Also the chances are they get broken into . And I never ever will lower the price of a quote . pricing cheap to win a job is a fools game .

If it's really that bad (and a quick Google of electricians in Rainham suggests not, absolute cheapest I could find was £170 a day), why not advertise in London? I occasionally go to North London (from Greater Manchester) to do domestic rewires and make about £500/£600 a day even after taking account of travel time and accommodation.

Or targeting or been targeted by the wrong customers ?
It's what customers will pay..there is very little point in putting in large invoices knowing that you absolutely no chance of getting them paid . I once went to court to recover the cost of a house rewire...I was awarded 50 pence a week by the court until the debt was paid...the customer failed to pay after 3 months..a waste of time

Brian. Something is MORE than wrong .

Few questions !!

1. What sort or work do you do?
2. How many hours per week are you doing ?
3.Have you a expensive van lease etc etc ?
5. Are you travelling miles per day to get to jobs ?

others can throw in questions ! But again, something does not make sense . Biggest saving I made years ago was NOT having a van . Bloody waste of time these days for domestic jobs . Also the chances are they get broken into . And I never ever will lower the price of a quote . pricing cheap to win a job is a fools game .
I'm doing domestic work...sockets switches lights etc...working hours per week is a little difficult as sometimes I have no work on ...but on average I guess about 25 to 30 a week...I have a van but it's mine ..no rent or lease...and yes it has been broken into many times over the years..again milage is unpredictable..can be 2 or 3 miles or maybe 50 to 60 miles .depends on the job.

I now take 30% upfront ( when I arrive on site with all the gear ) then 30% after 1st fix and the remaning 40% on completion for re-wires, If they won't agree to these terms I walk on by
Yes that's a good idea if the customer agrees....I've found that most prospective customers just fail to contact me if I start asking for cash up front...to much advice from the consumer protection lobby advising people not to pay anything until completely satisfied.

Haha. I hope you honestly are on a wee wind up.
I'm in Canterbury which is south eat Kent and charge between 5 and 6 times what you do...less than 50 miles away. Not a single electrician in my city would work for 15's. Not even Dave from the end of the bar is working for 15's lol.
I mean it's all good if you are happy lol, I am not criticising just kind of "surprised". We clearly do not have the same customer base and for both our point of view that's even better.
But Man you could travel 30 mins from north kent and be in outer smokey and charge 5x easily. 8k per year ? Again im not having a pop but if I was a tax inspector I would be all over your accounts like a demented spider looking for where your hiding the extra lol.

Haha. I hope you honestly are on a wee wind up.
I'm in Canterbury which is south eat Kent and charge between 5 and 6 times what you do...less than 50 miles away. Not a single electrician in my city would work for 15's. Not even Dave from the end of the bar is working for 15's lol.
I mean it's all good if you are happy lol, I am not criticising just kind of "surprised". We clearly do not have the same customer base and for both our point of view that's even better.
But Man you could travel 30 mins from north kent and be in outer smokey and charge 5x easily. 8k per year ? Again im not having a pop but if I was a tax inspector I would be all over your accounts like a demented spider looking for where your hiding the extra lol.
Last bit could really be a issue . No one would believe it

Reply to Pricing for a job need help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net