Discuss Pricing of electrical socket removal in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just need a bit of advice from some domestic sparks. I work in engineering so I don’t normally price domestic work. I need to remove a socket from service and it’s a relatively straightforward job would probably take me 30-60 mins and I’m just wondering what you guys would charge?

Depends on other related costs like travel /parking etcetc . But If the time suited the rest of the day and did not mean losing the opportunity to do a bigger Job. £130. If it was at a time that suited them but caused issues with the rest of work then £200

be sure to fit a blanking plate if you are then leaving no indication of cable (if left in wall) having a prescribed zone indicated.

I personally think £95 for a 1hr call-out is absolutely fair enough , as in reality its really 2 hours blocked out my diary to cover a bit of travel , parking , time to do the job and then a bit of travel to the next job.
So it works out Im paying myself £47.50 per hour in actual wages minus my fuel.
Heck the Wife earns more than me and she just shows people how to get fit

I personally think £95 for a 1hr call-out is absolutely fair enough , as in reality its really 2 hours blocked out my diary to cover a bit of travel , parking , time to do the job and then a bit of travel to the next job.
So it works out Im paying myself £47.50 per hour in actual wages minus my fuel.
Heck the Wife earns more than me and she just shows people how to get fit
Depends if its a "Can you get it done when it suits you next 24 hours" job or a "It must be done this morning " etc

Is it

“remove socket, joint through with connector, fit blanking plate”

Or is it

“Remove socket, investigate cable routes, pull back each leg to next socket, rewire between.

The wall might be coming down. We can’t price the job from afar.
If you use my pricing criteria £95 per hour then it matters not one jot if the job takes 45 mins or 1 hr and 45 mins , they are billed for my time on-site.

Or in delroys case, 45 minute job, 1 hour on retakes and video editting
I have actually tried doing a Video when doing some work in a mates garage , it was a nightmare keep stop starting , re-positioning the camera , checking it , re - checking it.
Honestly you can spend half the time on the job just making the video.
I even tried getting him to hold the Go-Pro over my shoulder while I was making off the garage consumer unit, gave up on that and tried strapping the Go-Pro to by chest but again I struggled to keep the work in shot.
Gave up in end. Got some decent footage enough to make a 10 minute video I guess , but boy was it a faff

I tried making a video of myself on my GoPro. Fairly easy really cos I was demonstarating how to make a paella, so although it was shot in several short sequences, the camera was on a mini tripod on the worktop. Sadly, although the paella worked out fine, half the time I was just standing there, one hand on hip, glass in other hand, doing a nancy-boy impersonation of Keith Floyd, may he rest in peace...

I have actually tried doing a Video when doing some work in a mates garage , it was a nightmare keep stop starting , re-positioning the camera , checking it , re - checking it.
Honestly you can spend half the time on the job just making the video.
I even tried getting him to hold the Go-Pro over my shoulder while I was making off the garage consumer unit, gave up on that and tried strapping the Go-Pro to by chest but again I struggled to keep the work in shot.
Gave up in end. Got some decent footage enough to make a 10 minute video I guess , but boy was it a faff
So many of the younger generation streaming nowadays, it wont be long before somebody makes the connection between the two (streamers/tradesmen) and offers 50% of ad revenue to the tradesman or whatever and takes care of the camera, mic and editing phase!

Wont be long and tradesmen will be adding a make up kit to there tool case and spending more time in the bathroom than the misses before going to work. Lol

I see the odd video where a spark or plumber or whatever is trying to do something while holding his phone as the camera with the other hand…. And fails as the job is a two handed task.

You need a producer, sound man, at least 3 cameras and a drone operator thrown in for the over the head shots.
Then you just need David Williams, Richard Hammond or whoever to narrate a supposed “off the cuff” remark.

Then watch the cost of a simple job shoot up!

Biggest issue will be gaining legal permission to film in a clients property . I work for and have done work at properties where everyone is searched in and out. No phones allowed.No cameras etc and you sign a NDA .

Why’s that? If the job did actually consist of removing a socket, wagos and fitting a blank plate - would you really charge £200?
Yes.. If it was a "urgent cross london call out" . It could easily take 2 hours of my time getting there and back. So the Job time could be as much as 3 hours? I dont base london rates on time doing the job. Its parking and traffic that eats the time away ! Then you have possible congestion charges /ulez etc etc . Parking can be as much as £15 per hour as well

Reply to Pricing of electrical socket removal in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net