Discuss Property developer, What electical work can I do ? and what course should I go on ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trogg

Hello all
As a property developer I quite often have to replace sockets and switches which I believe I'm allowed to do ? However I'm not 100% sure what I am allowed to work on.
So, 2 questions,
What can I legally work on, and what courses do you recommend ?
Thanks

Re: Property developer, What electical work can I do ? and what course should I go on

You are legally allowed to replace any accessories in all rooms, except bathroom and kitchen. You are also not allowed to carry out any external electrical work.

Re: Property developer, What electical work can I do ? and what course should I go on

Thanks Adam for your reply,
The things I'd like to be able to do are, removing and replacing things like a shower or an extractor fan etc when re-plastering or tiling, but like you said, I'm not allowed to do this at the moment.
I believe there is a 17th edition course, what's that all about ? will it be any good for me ?

If you are not "competent" to carry out electrical work then you should not be doing any.
If you are, then you can do anything which your training has prepared you for, though you will need to carry out testing for everything except "like-for-like" replacements (and even some of this work needs testing).
If you search the forum or internet for "part P", you will see what needs notifying to LBC.
As for courses.... Enrol on an apprenticeship, or else leave electrical work to electricians :)

I believe there is a 17th edition course, what's that all about ? will it be any good for me ?

The 17th edition course is for experienced electricians to "top up" their knowledge of the latest regulations. It is not an electrical course as such (being only a few days long).

Like for like replacements are non-notifiable regardless of what location they are in however, the fact that you are asking about regs and courses tells me that the "Default" advice should kick in here mate. Get a qualified electrician in
There is more to electrical work than just connecting up.

For some reason my posts keep getting denied, not sure what I'm doing wrong

I do use electricians, but have a lot of trouble getting someone in to do the smaller jobs, most of the properties require complete renovation and getting electricians in is no problem.

There's a lot of spamming going on on the forum just now and maybe there's stuff in your posts that's falling foul of the filters, maybe that's why some of your posts are going walkabout.
A lot of guys love the daft little jobs that only need a quick fix, myself included, ok it might cost you a bit but it may be worth your while to get on really good terms with one of your regular sparks. Try posting up your rough location

Thanks trev, I live in Birmingham, the other side of the city to Adam ( above) I have Electricians I can use here but most of the properties are some distance away i.e. the last properties I've been to look at were in South Wales and Stoke.
The Stoke property needs the bathroom replastering/tiling which would involve removing and replacing the shower, a job I'd like to legally do but if you're saying I need to be a fully qualified electrician to do this (no short course for someone like me) then I'll just carry on phoning around till I find someone to do it for me.

One thing I've noticed is that most of the electricians I've used for the smaller jobs have been quite old, what am I going to do in a few years time when they've all retired ?

:)

One thing I've noticed is that most of the electricians I've used for the smaller jobs have been quite old, what am I going to do in a few years time when they've all retired ?

:)
Find younger ones ;)

I know there will be huge debate now, but even when replacing accessories you should (in my opinion) as a minimum be taking a Zs reading, just to cover yourself. I doubt that trogg has the equipment to do so or the expertise to interpret the readings?

Find younger ones ;)

I know there will be huge debate now, but even when replacing accessories you should (in my opinion) as a minimum be taking a Zs reading, just to cover yourself. I doubt that trogg has the equipment to do so or the expertise to interpret the readings?

I agree. Say you remove the shower, tile and replace it.... How do you know that there is a good earth connection? How do you know what your Zs actually is? How can you check while doing the job that the cable and OCPD are actually suitable? These are the sorts of things an electrician will do, and you probably don't even realise they are doing it.

I agree. Say you remove the shower, tile and replace it.... How do you know that there is a good earth connection? How do you know what your Zs actually is? How can you check while doing the job that the cable and OCPD are actually suitable? These are the sorts of things an electrician will do, and you probably don't even realise they are doing it.

I agree too, which is why I'm asking the question about courses, it looks like there are no courses suitable for my needs however some good has come out of asking the question on here, I've had a few PMs (which I can't reply to because I don't have enough posts) from people offering their services for smaller jobs :)
So in future if I need an electrician I'll just post on here :)

Thanks for your help

The Stoke property needs the bathroom replastering/tiling which would involve removing and replacing the shower, a job I'd like to legally do but if you're saying I need to be a fully qualified electrician to do this
There's nothing in the law which says you NEED to be fully qualified, the legal test is of competency. As I said earlier, as this is a like for like replacement you don't have to notify it to building control but, my learned friends have pointed out you will need to prove you have a good earth connection and that the device protecting the shower will operate within the specified time. One of our moderators, Lenny, is in south Wales (I believe) not so much of a domestic spark but he knows his stuff and maybe could help you out

i've p m-d you my mobile number. ring me if you're stuck any time.

I agree too, which is why I'm asking the question about courses, it looks like there are no courses suitable for my needs however some good has come out of asking the question on here, I've had a few PMs (which I can't reply to because I don't have enough posts) from people offering their services for smaller jobs :)
So in future if I need an electrician I'll just post on here :)

Thanks for your help

You sound like a decent and conscientious bloke. I wish you well :)

Reply to Property developer, What electical work can I do ? and what course should I go on ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net