Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Pros & Cons of Wiring in Series & Parallel? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

series ccts current is constant. (SIC)
paralell ccts voltage is constant (PVC)

example

Hooking batteries in parallel will give you the same voltage as a single battery, but with a Ah and current carrying capacity equal to the sum of the capacities of all the batteries. For example, three 12v 20 Ah batteries in parallel will give you 12v 60 Ah. If each battery could put out 200 amps max, three in parallel could put out 600 amps max.

or another example

consider a very simple circuit consisting of four light bulbs and one 6 V battery. If a wire joins the battery to one bulb, to the next bulb, to the next bulb, to the next bulb, then back to the battery, in one continuous loop, the bulbs are said to be in series. If each bulb is wired to the battery in a separate loop, the bulbs are said to be in parallel

If the four light bulbs are connected in series, there is same current through all of them, and the voltage drop is 1.5 V across each bulb, which may not be sufficient to make them glow. If the light bulbs are connected in parallel, the currents through the light bulbs combine to form the current in the battery, while the voltage drop is 6.0 V across each bulb and they all glow.
In a series circuit, every device must function for the circuit to be complete. One bulb burning out in a series circuit breaks the circuit. In parallel circuits, each light has its own circuit, so all but one light could be burned out, and the last one will still function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry lads I meant Panels, Grid Connected. And What are the best panels to use here in Scotland and England? Not interested in the "Top ten of Europe" Mainly due to the fact that we get different weather here than across the pond.

Reply to Pros & Cons of Wiring in Series & Parallel? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net