Discuss Proximity to overhead lines? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kerv

I've been asked to install some lighting around an outside menage (horse paddock thing). The client wants metal halide floods on top of scaffold poles. The problem is the supply to the house and small industrial units next door run right across the middle of the menage on telegraph poles (33kv?) Apart from the obvious dangers with waving scaffold poles around under the lines how close to the lines can I put the fittings?

wouldn't go near, also a risk to the land occupants, unless it is a big metal workshop or a waste handling plant I don't think it will be 33Kv.....a photo of the lines would let me know by seeing, still wouldn't go near.....
I have been at housing schemes before with 172Kv and 300Kv lines going over about 20 feet above the roof ridge, which is not right to have that going over occupied land....there was kids swings set up in the middle of the pylon bases which in my opinion encourages climbing....
some other places I have been have had 11Kv Transformers at chest height you could lean over and touch.....not good either....

Thanks for the responses folks. Western Power are sending someone out for a site survey as no one seems to be able to give me any guidance over the phone.

wouldn't go near, also a risk to the land occupants, unless it is a big metal workshop or a waste handling plant I don't think it will be 33Kv.....a photo of the lines would let me know by seeing, still wouldn't go near.....
I have been at housing schemes before with 172Kv and 300Kv lines going over about 20 feet above the roof ridge, which is not right to have that going over occupied land....there was kids swings set up in the middle of the pylon bases which in my opinion encourages climbing....
some other places I have been have had 11Kv Transformers at chest height you could lean over and touch.....not good either....
I know things can be a bit weird north of the border. Didn't realise the distribution was different as well. 11, 33, 132 275 and 400 are normal voltages. As for the transformers, got any pictures? They would be interesting to see.

We unfortunately had to have Western Power out only yesterday to remedy a problem one of our lads had on site :)uhoh2::bigcry::sick::disappointed: !), and while they were there i got chatting with the jointing team while we waited for the lines men to get there as well , about overhead supplies and they said that they are told (This is only their area though !) that if the wires are horizontal on the poles it means they are HV but and if they go vertically up the pole it means they are LV .

We unfortunately had to have Western Power out only yesterday to remedie a problem one of our lads had on site :)uhoh2::bigcry::sick::disappointed: !), and while they were there i got chatting with the jointing team while we waited for the lines men to get there as well , about overhead supplies and they said that they are told (This is only their area though !) that if the wires are horizontal on the poles it means they are HV but and if they go vertical up the pole it means they are LV .

That's been the rule since time in memorial!! Not just in your area, or even just in the UK. If suspended on a single pole, on a single rail, HV horizontally, LV vertically!!

Reply to Proximity to overhead lines? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net