Discuss push to make dimmers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

On a job at the moment its an extension for builder i work for. Customer bought a couple of big led light fittings which are dimmable, but after trying a few dimmers to no avail, i phoned up company lights were bought from and they have said it has to be push to make dimmer switch and that i also need a permanent live at lights. I do have 2 terminals at fitting d1 and d2. No information with lights. Not came across this before its also 2 way switched anybody had experience with this and have any recommendations for what make of dimmer to use
thanks

Are you sure they said push to make dimmer? If you have a D1 and D2 terminal and the light required a permanent live then it sounds more likely that you'll need a push to make retractive switch across those two terminals

yes they said push to make dimmer also that i needed 2 lives at light but as i only have sw live and neutral at light he said only way round it would be getting a permanent live to it which would be easier to do than get another cable from switch.

yes they said push to make dimmer also that i needed 2 lives at light but as i only have sw live and neutral at light he said only way round it would be getting a permanent live to it which would be easier to do than get another cable from switch.

Have had some type of dimmers that will only do the dimming & not turn off before, the company said i needed a double pole switch & a dimmer to correctly work the lights, these were after all 0-10V Driver installed on the circuit, customer was not happy as this was a six gang plate that needed all to look like dimmer modules, Got round it with a different company that made a specific dimmer unit that had 1-10V push to make to turn on & 1-10V dimming on same unit was not cheap but got the job done.
what type of lamps do you have to DIM or what type of Driver do you have, what about switching either out to a more conventional dimmer / driver unit.

Have had some type of dimmers that will only do the dimming & not turn off before, the company said i needed a double pole switch & a dimmer to correctly work the lights, these were after all 0-10V Driver installed on the circuit, customer was not happy as this was a six gang plate that needed all to look like dimmer modules, Got round it with a different company that made a specific dimmer unit that had 1-10V push to make to turn on & 1-10V dimming on same unit was not cheap but got the job done.
what type of lamps do you have to DIM or what type of Driver do you have, what about switching either out to a more conventional dimmer / driver unit.
its a suspension led pendant 45w per light driver built into fitting, a only have twin and earth going from switch to lights so too late now if i need to run another cable for the d1 and d2 terminals

its a suspension led pendant 45w per light driver built into fitting, a only have twin and earth going from switch to lights so too late now if i need to run another cable for the d1 and d2 terminals

Think I have a solution for you for this light, is the light on a one gang switch? or is it with another switch?

lightwave RF do a wireless switch that can operate a small relay unit that can be placed if you have room behind your light fitting, then you could alter your wiring to have a perm live & N at light which will also run the relay, then put the wireless switch on with cables linked behind switch.
no running cables, this give perm live & N behind light fitting & it is dimmable.
not sure if it will suit your needs but may be worth a go.

Reply to push to make dimmers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net