Discuss PV immersion heater proportional control in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rjd

I joined the forum to investigate proportional (immersion) heater control to try to make better use of spare power generated by my PV installation. Thanks for the help that I've found so far. I would still be interested in hearing from anyone who knows of a ready made board offering proportional control, rated at >3kW so suitable for an immersion heater, which I could then interface to the output of a micro-controller.

I joined the forum to investigate proportional (immersion) heater control to try to make better use of spare power generated by my PV installation. Thanks for the help that I've found so far. I would still be interested in hearing from anyone who knows of a ready made board offering proportional control, rated at >3kW so suitable for an immersion heater, which I could then interface to the output of a micro-controller.

On a recent job I saw this thing that looks rather clever. But I know not who makes it... Owners were out while I was working. Anyone know who it's made by? 2kW panels, connected to 3kW heater. Nothing in between the box and the heater, so me thinks it modulates the power somehow.

Sorry about the pic quality- taken by my phone.

cheers,

fred
box.jpg

Thanks for the info Brian. Looked at that link, and that product looks good too, but works differently I think. This heating switch you mention uses some sort of optical sensor that tracks the 1/1000 kWh pulse LED on a typical meter, and only switches on at two levels- half and full power.
The box that I spotted has a single current sensor insode the consumer unit which presumably monitors house or solar current. When I had curiously put a clamp meter around the cables, I noticed that it tracks the power precisely and the grid return feed was about zero. Really efficient, using every last drop of PV power. The owners of the house don't know much about the thing, but they say it works really well even on cloudy days. It was installed by their MCS installer back in May 2011- The MCS installer has now gone out of business...

I've noticed that there are quite a few devices on the market. The EMMA from Ireland is ridiculously expensive, but appears to do exactly what I want, but looks complicated and you probably need a scientist to set it up.

There are quite a few solar switches or solar immersion diverters out there, some being kits or real DIY circuits, but most need plumbing and a change of element to a lower power one.

I don't like the idea of a lower power element purely because when your boiler packs up (ours did in November), you need to operate only on the immersion. And it's soooo slow.... I'd say at least an hour and a half for a bath load of water, and then you have to wait ages again for it to reheat. If you have a lower power immersion the wait would be much longer.
I've also noticed that for most of the time since we've had our 4kW PV system, the 'average power' output is only about 600W (daylight hours). Using a switched system would probably mean that the immersion would hardly ever come on, except on the sunniest days. That's the main reason I'm looking for a proportional or tracked type solar immersion heater controller.
If I get called back to the house I'll have a look inside the unit and report back, unless someone else has seen the same one on their travels...

Hi Fred ,
You have opened and looked at my word attachment for the S & R Wooldridge ltd document have you?

This device does not use an optical sensor, I think you are relating to device called SOLAR DIVERT that senses the led on some of the Domestic Electric Meters.

The S & R Wooldridge device sensor clamps around the incoming mains and is more sophisticated to determin the ac current is either importing or exporting and if it is exporting I am told by Anthony Wooldridge that the circuitry within the device controls the feed to the immersion to supply the same power that is exported, therfore it should be as efficient as the very expensive EMMA device.
My main concern I have with the Wooldridge device is that they have not supplied me with any printed technical details of their device.The total information is exactly as I have given in my attachment!

Anthony Wooldridge has been very helpful but has only supplied me the attached information.

At the moment I am not prepaired to spend £500 for a device that I have no technical details,electrical performance or installation information.
As far as I'm concerned if they want to promote this device they need to have some marketing literature and technical details

Has anyone else enquired after the Wooldridge Immersion Heater proportional Control device?. If it does what Anthony Wooldridge say's then it would be well worth considering

Regards Brian

Have a look at this thread also: http://www.electriciansforums.net/s...ral-heating-linked-monitoring.html#post551986

As far as I WAS aware, the only commercially available proportional control system is the EMMA,

However just spoken with Wooldriges' SG Wooldridge, Fabrication,Machinery, YES it is a proportional control system - I understand how he's doing it and he's doing it the right way! (Solar PV Controller type SPVHC/1 4Kwatt rated £395 plus 20% VAT recorded delivery £10)

You won't get it much cheaper than that though because of the component costs.

Hi

The link you are referring to
appears to be broken.

However just spoken with Wooldriges' SG Wooldridge, Fabrication,Machinery, YES it is a proportional control system - I understand how he's doing it and he's doing it the right way! (Solar PV Controller type SPVHC/1 4Kwatt rated £395 plus 20% VAT recorded delivery £10)

You won't get it much cheaper than that though because of the component costs.

First of all I am not an electrician. I am using proportional controllers in my job (so got some ideas about them) and following http://www.electriciansforums.net/c...23969-immersion-heater-pv-electricity-34.html thread discussing a lot proportional energy controllers but I am completely lost to understand how one can monitor the direction (export/import) of the current by one induction clamp around the incoming mains. Could somebody explain this to me?
Anyway I agree with Brian that without any documentation it would be too risky. And what about the oscillations around the 0?
The controller which Fred has spotted seems be much more professional. Shame there are no more info about it.

Juraj

You have to monitor the voltage and phase angle also - commercial meters using CT's have to be plascd a particular way round, and also have a cable attached to the phase 'live' for monitoring purposes.

If you want more info about the Wooldrdige device and how it works, pm me. :)

Sorry the link wasn;t broken - it's in the Sun lounge and you have to join that :(

Infinity.
Idealy mounted close to the consumer fuse box. Remove the fuse box pole wiring that goes to the immersion heater,its unlikey to be long enough to connect directly to the Wooldridge Device,so use a junction connector to extend the wire to the device.Wire the fused feed that went to the immersion heater to the input connection to the device.The wooldridge sensor clamps around the live feed before the consumer meter. Simple.
I hope this helps

I've been reading this and the other immersion threads with great interest but I'm not prepared to pay what they're currently asking for a proportional controller.
I've already fitted a power reducer to our I'm immersion.
It cost me £54 and has cut the power back to around 1kw.
Im considering fitting one of these IMMERSION WATER HEATER CONTROLLER TO USE SURPLUS SOLAR PV POWER | eBay
until a proportional system comes down to a reasonable price.
It's a very basic light activated relay but the sensor has an adjustable threshold so you can set it to activate at roughly the amount of light needed to power the immersion plus base load.
We also have a timer which will come on later in the day to top up the hot water if there hasn't been enough sun.
I realise it won't be as efficient as a proportional unit but it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading this and the other immersion threads with great interest but I'm not prepared to pay what they're currently asking for a proportional controller.
I've already fitted a power reducer to our I'm immersion.
It cost me £54 and has cut the power back to around 1kw.
Im considering fitting one of these IMMERSION WATER HEATER CONTROLLER TO USE SURPLUS SOLAR PV POWER | eBay
until a proportional system comes down to a reasonable price.
It's a very basic light activated relay but the sensor has an adjustable threshold so you can set it to activate at roughly the amount of light needed to power the immersion plus base load.
We also have a timer which will come on later in the day to top up the hot water if there hasn't been enough sun.
I realise it won't be as efficient as a proportional unit but it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Just ordered one for £25 and will post an update here once it's fitted.

I am currently using a switching system to heat my cylinder or anything I choose with excess power from my system. It has been in use for over 2 months with no problems. Since this time my gas boiler (for hot water) has almost been redundant. I copied the idea from another Forum. The parts cost about £15.00 + odds and sods I had lying around at home. The use of a soldering iron is needed(not too hard) There are no mains tie-ins so can be done by the average DIYer.The only thing I would say most people would need to do, is change their immersion for a 1kW one(£35.00). I guess a proportionally controlled system would be better but cannot justify spending £400.00+ Just how long would it take to make a profit on your install. My current supplier Eon, is targeting 1000000 installations to have Smart Meters fitted by March 2014. This may or may not happen but if it does a lot of people will be out of pocket.

I am currently using a switching system to heat my cylinder or anything I choose with excess power from my system. It has been in use for over 2 months with no problems. Since this time my gas boiler (for hot water) has almost been redundant. I copied the idea from another Forum. The parts cost about £15.00 + odds and sods I had lying around at home. The use of a soldering iron is needed(not too hard) There are no mains tie-ins so can be done by the average DIYer.The only thing I would say most people would need to do, is change their immersion for a 1kW one(£35.00). I guess a proportionally controlled system would be better but cannot justify spending £400.00+ Just how long would it take to make a profit on your install. My current supplier Eon, is targeting 1000000 installations to have Smart Meters fitted by March 2014. This may or may not happen but if it does a lot of people will be out of pocket.

Can you give us some more info on the system you're using.

I think my system is similar to the one on eBay. Not saying mine is better, but I liked the challenge of putting it together. I have set the house base load at 200w and the immersion to come on at 1200w. The switch set-up detects when the house base load increases(say kettle on) the cuts the supply to the immersion. Your electric meter needs to have a flashing red LED and that is about it.
These are the bits.
Components are:-
Maplins. Light Sensitive Switch Kit with delay @ £6.99
Maplins. Light Sensitive Switch Kit without delay @ £5.99
Maplins. Housing box £1.00. when you spend £10.00. Bargain buy Tub!

eBay SSR N SSR 25A Solid State Relay 3-32V DC 24-380V AC Control | eBay @99p + £1.97 post.

2 x 12v 400mA adapters (had mine but can be bought for £4.50 ish)

Bell wire to run to the sensors

Got pics if required

We will be installing the Immersun unit for a customer in the next few weeks, have a look at their website for more info: immerSUN :: Use 100% generated free electricity :: A 4eco Product

I have all the info from Immersun except the PRICE but they will not supply an end user.They will either suggest an approved installer(which incurres a 3rd party cost + Device cost) or I can get my own electrcian to open an account and they will supply it this way.Its possible of course there will be a minimum order.Again there is no trade or retail price available from Immersun

Just how long would it take to make a profit on your install. My current supplier Eon, is targeting 1000000 installations to have Smart Meters fitted by March 2014. This may or may not happen but if it does a lot of people will be out of pocket.

2 Things,

1) a) The sepcification for smart metering does not include measuring export
b) The deeemed export is part of the Feed-in Tariff program, unless changed by DECC, it is not at the description of either your supply provider or your fits provider (which can be different)

2) For ROI see here: http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...-immersion-heater-regulator-2.html#post562074

The immersun appears to do the right job, the question is at what price? Don't post trade price here, if you know, pop it on the Sunlounge.

The website is a little light, so can anyone tell me how it works?

Is it proportional?

How does it wire in?

For those that like to know, Immersun is a product fron 4Eco Ltd 3 Church View, Business Centre, Binbrook, Lincolnshire, LN8 6BY (the immersun dot co dot uk website is regsitered to them) 4ecoltd dot co dot uk
From duedil, the people at 4Eco are:
Jodi Huggett (37), Director, Company Director, 1 Sep 2010 – Present
Robin Barrett (36), Director, Company Director, 1 Sep 2010 – Present
and
Lee Robert Sutton (35) Director, Company Director, 26 Jan 2007 – Present

From the MCS Website:

4eco were MCS Certified by elecsa on 01/04/2010 for:
Air Source Heat Pumps
Ground Source Heat Pumps
Solar PV and
Solar Thermal

You are correct in what you say, but I believe that in the near future, smart meters when installed, will read exact import and export readings, maybe putting an end to the 50% estimated export payment. You would then be paid for the actual amount exported back to the grid. I put my system together for a small amount of money. I enjoyed doing it and, even though it is not the best it is certainly one of the cheapest.

Last edited:
@legoman, the key thing is that at the moment there is no requirement for smart meters to monitor export, some may choose to.

The 50% deemed is laid down in legislation http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/678/pdfs/uksi_20100678_en.pdf

So to change it will require a new order to be laid before Parliament which will require formal consultation.

The manner and method under which the government lost the right to apply retrospective changes to installations (reduction of 43.3p in December) means that I connot see how they could change the measurement methodology to EXISTING installations and remove the deeming %. They would have a consumer revolt on their hands.

So why is it 50% ? Because in most cases it is more than 50% - in practice it is nearer 75% (see Energy Saving Trust about the value of 'FREE' Solar) so they are getting electricity for free! Even 3.2p is below the wholesale price - hence the uplift in export rate to new systems after 1st August.

So 1) it is not in the FIT providers or the Electricty suppliers interest to meter export
2) if they did the FIT payments would go up which means more on the bills of consumers
3) The perception of consumers is that they would be worse off, as anything they use now is 'free' (see comment above about the EST) so they would cause uproar.
4) It would be retrospective legislation and I may be wrong, however I don't think the goverenment would be allowed to do it - whose benefit would it be to anyway? - Those generating, already overpaid in the goverenments eyes ....

Last edited:
From the EST Website
Free solar PV offers / Solar panels (PV) / Generate your own energy / Home (United Kingdom) - Energy Saving Trust
The proportion used in the home may be as low as 25% for a typical PV system, but could be over 40% for some users.* With a typical PV system this would mean likely annual savings of £100 to £180.

* Based on figures from the Suncities Monitoring Data Review (Kirklees Council, 2007), A simple model of domestic PV systems and their integration with building loads (Firth, Boswell and Lomas, 2009) and Micro-CHP Accelerator Final Report (Carbon Trust, 2011).

Worcester, I hope you are right re- the 50% staying as is. I have nothing to gain if it changes. I do not know what percentage I'm using now(retired, so I can be in when my solar panels are producing the most power) but, am trying to maximise as much as possible. I feel I am "edging my bets" by using the system I have. I have used another persons ideas/advice and assistance along the way. He has been using it for the last year with no problems. I intend to run mine through the winter months and then decide my next move.
If I could buy a proportionally stepped system for under £100.00 I would be sorely tempted. As I cannot find one, I will stick with what I have.
I tried to post some info about my set-up but could not publish so, for anyone who may be interested I will try again later.
[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

Re: PV immersion heater switch

M**lin. Light Sensitive Switch Kit without delay @ £5.99
M**lin. Light Sensitive Switch Kit with delay @£6.99
M**lin. Housing box £1.00. when you spend £10.00. Bargain buy Tub!
SSR 25A-Solid-State-Relay-3-32V-DC-24-380V-AC-Control-/370531973220?@99p + post
2 x 12v 400mA adapters (found 2 at home but can be bought for £5.00 each)
Bell wire

Have pics/info if required

That sounds a lot like the controller I just bought .... IMMERSION WATER HEATER CONTROLLER TO USE SURPLUS SOLAR PV POWER | eBay
Cost me £25.
Should have it fitted tomorrow.

Have a look at this thread also: http://www.electriciansforums.net/s...ral-heating-linked-monitoring.html#post551986

As far as I WAS aware, the only commercially available proportional control system is the EMMA,

I installed a EMMA SP15/30 a couple of weeks ago, simple to install and seems to be working well.

There is the Immersun device that is proportional and the other that I am looking at theAnthony Wooldrridge sola Controla £395 = vat.See my earlier post but I have repeated the attachment here.
http://www.electriciansforums.net/a...olar-pv-heating-switch-s-g-wooldridge-ltd.doc

Brian

Scobo,

Sounds OK and the price(ready to go) is good.
Only thing I noticed after following the link was this:-

The key thing is not to find yourself importing expensive electricity to power the immersion!

Does this mean that if you turn on an appliance (say your kettle) it does not turn off the immersion.
My system uses 2 LDRs. 1 to turn on the immersion/appliance at whatever I set it to, say 1.2kw and the 2nd, that monitors when the red LED in my meter flashes, indicating I am importing power. If this happens the 2nd switch cuts off the power to the immersion

I would be interested to know your set-up performs anyway.

Scobo,

The key thing is not to find yourself importing expensive electricity to power the immersion!

Does this mean that if you turn on an appliance (say your kettle) it does not turn off the immersion.
My system uses 2 LDRs. 1 to turn on the immersion/appliance at whatever I set it to, say 1.2kw and the 2nd, that monitors when the red LED in my meter flashes, indicating I am importing power. If this happens the 2nd switch cuts off the power to the immersion

No, it only has the one LDR to turn the immersion on and off when the power generated is high enough.
This won't usually be an issue as when we're out we have a base load of around 200 watts so I'll calibrate the controller to kick in around 1.5kw and when we're in I could just disable it if there's not enough power to cover the other appliances.
Your setup sounds pretty nifty !

Scobo,

I have not got this device yet but the statement you have raised is explaining that whatever you have connected the Wooldridge device is totally proportional in that it will not import electrcity to suppliment the appliance that is connected to the output of the Wooldridge idealy (THE IMMERSION HEATER).
The Wooldridge will only supply the surplus exported power to the load connected to the Device(THE IMMERSION HEATER).As soon as you turn on anything in the house that exceeds the exported power then the Wooldridge will import nothing to feed to the Immersion Heater. Obviously there will be imported electricity to feed the shortfall of PV to meet whatever appliance you have switched on.
It is not suitable for White Goods Appliances which always require the full 240v ac to function correctly.
Personally I think these proprtional devices are the ideal method of saving money to capture the spare PV power and the Immersion Heater is the perfect load which is ideal for proprtional voltage feeding.
The other is probably storage heaters but you wont have the same savings as the water heating in the Summer months.

Brian, Thanks for that. I see what you mean now. Am I right then, in thinking that Scobo's device is similar to mine without the 1st switch with no delay?

Scobo, One thing that would concern me is the size of your system(2.88kw) and the setting recommended to use an immersion(2kw). Your system would need to be performing almost at its peak to supply it. This would be possible on nice sunny days but will struggle through Nov-Feb. I would lower it as you say or maybe more.

I think my system(4kw) will struggle too but, I will test it through the winter months and then reassess things. My base load in the daytime is fairly low(fridge freezer + odds and sods) so, in the winter I may try running my immersion when I am generating say 800w, if it works outs cheaper than using my gas boiler. I guess I could turn the f/f off for a short while to help this.

I don't intend to use the immersion in the winter.
We'll use the boiler as we'll have it on for the heating anyway.
Our base load is around 200 watts and the immersion now runs at around 1kw so I'll have the controller set for around 1.2 to 1.5kw.
There will be dull days when our PV doesn't generate that or not for long enough so the timer will come on to give it a boost.
Our aim is really to save using the boiler during spring/summer to help prolong its lifespan without it costing more.
I realise we won't get completely free hot water with this setup (certainly not this summer) but it should still save a few quid.

By the time you guys have messed around playing with this and that , you could have saved yourselves a lot of time and possibly imported electricity if you get the settings wrong, by simply buying either the Wooldridge or Immersun devices... both of which I guarantee will have out perfomed your home grown solutions with absolute no concerns about possible import, and no need to change your immersion heaters.

The Immersun has a timer and boost switch, the timer allows you to extend the use of the immersion heater in case the water isn't hot enough at certain times of day and also a short boost button, both of which overide the proportional control if needed. You could also programme you exsiting heating system to provided a hot water boost at the end of the day if needed.

Much Much simpler --- read this post in detail http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...-immersion-heater-regulator-2.html#post562074 and you'll see the actuall difference between proportional and non-proportional systems, also an analysis if the available and used power. The proportional system will give you much greater return in the long term.

I have been using Anthony Woodridge's Sola Controlla for the past month and give it full marks. It appears to divert all available energy produced by my 3.3Kw PV not been used by the house to my 3Kw 27" immersion heater. I turned the immersion heater thermostat to max and now have scalding hot water on sunny days (rare at the moment) and acceptable temperatures on even the dullest days.

product_image.jpg

I just installed the Mark II intelligent version of solar immersion switch from Intelligent Solar Immersion Switch - Use Surplus Solar PV Power to Heat Water and really happy with the performance. It comes with a differential controller that monitors both PV production and house hold consumption. very affordable price too

Had a chat with the customer support and said they were working on a Mark III with proportional controller as well - don't know if it's true

Attachments

• pv-immersion-heat-control-switch-bright.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 170
..................My current supplier Eon, is targeting 1000000 installations to have Smart Meters fitted by March 2014. This may or may not happen but if it does a lot of people will be out of pocket.

Why ??

export is (currently) calculated at 50% of your generation figure and then only paid at ~3p per kw so will have no impact at all. Infact I would go as far to say that if they did monitor your export and it was nil, as you were utilising either sending back through the inverter or using it all, you would still be in pocket as you import at ~12 per KW and you get paid 44p per kw ( or pre DOS day installs do ).......... :smug:

OP I like the sound of these devices as I would like to do this but for me it has to be the right device as its an impossibility for me to have a device thats hard wired in between the immersion heater and the PV system, so needs to be based on RF and/or sensor in my situation, which this sounds like it would satisfy but its over £ 350 + fitting - it may not be worth it....

I have been using Anthony Woodridge's Sola Controlla for the past month and give it full marks. It appears to divert all available energy produced by my 3.3Kw PV not been used by the house to my 3Kw 27" immersion heater. I turned the immersion heater thermostat to max and now have scalding hot water on sunny days (rare at the moment) and acceptable temperatures on even the dullest days.

This is what we need Peter, early feedback about this emerging technology. I like this device and am pleased it is performing well.

Why ??

export is (currently) calculated at 50% of your generation figure and then only paid at ~3p per kw so will have no impact at all. Infact I would go as far to say that if they did monitor your export and it was nil, as you were utilising either sending back through the inverter or using it all, you would still be in pocket as you import at ~12 per KW and you get paid 44p per kw ( or pre DOS day installs do ).......... :smug:

OP I like the sound of these devices as I would like to do this but for me it has to be the right device as its an impossibility for me to have a device thats wired in between the immersion heater and the PV system, so needs to be based on RF in my situation, which this sounds like it would satisfy but its over £ 350 + fitting - it may not be worth it....

Smart meters are years away - at least 10, as it will cost a fortune for the supplier to replace all the existing meters.

It make sense to use the surplus power flowing back to the grid and why worry when the investment made on the switch is less than 3 months worth of FIT payout (for 4kW).

To me, it's to make the best of the existing situation as I will get the full return of investment in less than 2 years.

Also, it make sense to use the existing immersion wiring from the consumer unit to the immersion itself, as it is stable and solid circut. RF could turn the immersion on, but the question is , can we trust it . After the controller is installed, i could forget it expect it to run for years without any issues. I don't thing a cheap Chinese switching unit will stand a chance for what i want. Also, don't think the Chinese units are CE certified - Not electrical device is suppose to be used in any Europe without CE. Another trouble is a potential patent violation, as they use dual sensors.

Adding to that, the immersion will be switched by a reliable MCB from the consumer unit and the unit my electrician installed does that . Also, the unit from Intelligent Solar Immersion Switch - Use Surplus Solar PV Power to Heat Water looks very simple to install, as it just uses a single sensor to detect and calculate the difference. Also they are CE certified, designed and manufactured in UK and very reasonably priced. Hence the reason I went for it.

The immersun appears to do the right job, the question is at what price? Don't post trade price here, if you know, pop it on the Sunlounge.

The website is a little light, so can anyone tell me how it works?

Is it proportional?

How does it wire in?

For those that like to know, Immersun is a product fron 4Eco Ltd 3 Church View, Business Centre, Binbrook, Lincolnshire, LN8 6BY (the immersun dot co dot uk website is regsitered to them) 4ecoltd dot co dot uk
From duedil, the people at 4Eco are:
Jodi Huggett (37), Director, Company Director, 1 Sep 2010 – Present
Robin Barrett (36), Director, Company Director, 1 Sep 2010 – Present
and
Lee Robert Sutton (35) Director, Company Director, 26 Jan 2007 – Present

From the MCS Website:

4eco were MCS Certified by elecsa on 01/04/2010 for:
Air Source Heat Pumps
Ground Source Heat Pumps
Solar PV and
Solar Thermal

Hi MickF
Yes the Immersun modulates the supply to the immersion heater based on detecting the exported excess and feeding appropriately to the immersion heater.
I have contacted Immersun and they have given me the following details of an installer.Immersun will not supply directly to individuals quite rightly because they would not be able to police the DIY installation.
THEY WILL SUPPLY ELECTRICIANS WHO OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH IMMERSUN.

The follwing details is all I have from one of Immersun's Installers
If you want the name and contact details of this installer and their supply & fit price then PM me as it may not go down too well if I advertise the installer here!•Uses existing immersion heater
•Can control power to any resistive load up to 3kW
•Back-lit LCD display shows: energy saved, load power and mode *
•Volt-free relay contact can be set to operate for additional loads *
•Built-in hot water programmer to set times when water needs to be heated *
•Hot water heater boost function
•Maintains settings and time during power outages *
•Can control boiler for water boost function or use immersion heater *
•Cylinder de-stratification pump control option *
•RS485 MODBUS interface *
•Several units can be linked together to control many loads *
•Can be configured to operate two immersion heaters sequentially *
•OEM units available in a wide range of RAL colours
•Non-invasive grid power monitoring using AC current clamp
•Built-in thermal overload protection
•UK manufactured
•3 Year Product Warranty
•Quality all-metal wall mounted enclosure

•Features not available with the immerSUN Lite
[FONT=Atlanta,Atlanta][FONT=Atlanta,Atlanta]Electrical specifications
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Atlanta,Atlanta][FONT=Atlanta,Atlanta]Supply: 220-240VAC 50Hz
Power Consumption (excluding load): <1W
Maximum Load: 3.3kW @ 220VAC
Maximum Load Current: 15A
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Atlanta,Atlanta][FONT=Atlanta,Atlanta]Dimensions
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Atlanta,Atlanta][FONT=Atlanta,Atlanta]Width: 155mm
Height: 145mm
Depth: 60mm
Weight: 800g
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

So in this day and age you can buy a gas boiler, an Inverter and a chain saw etc all of which could potentially kill you but this company think they need to police the installation of their product -bah, its just another way to get more money out of you !

So in this day and age you can buy a gas boiler, an Inverter and a chain saw etc all of which could potentially kill you but this company think they need to police the installation of their product -bah, its just another way to get more money out of you !
I totally Agree,especially as the nearest installer to me is over 40 miles away so the installation adds £250 to the device.

Updating my prvious posts on the Anthony Wooldridge Immersion Heater controller which I should be installing in the next two weeks for a trial period.
I attach the other Immersion Heater Controller I am going to trial and is being marketed by ION ENERGY which does everything the Wooldridge device does but adds a few more usefull extras.Also it has a status lcd backlite display.The price is £385 + vat (similar to the Wooldridge) and it is available for self install. It does look rather more professional put together. At the moment they are waiting for CE approval which is expected by August 2012!

View attachment Solar Controller.pdf

I agree Worcester,when I contacted Immersun they would not deal directly and forwarded my request for details to BPV (see my previous blog 3 days ago) which comes out to £685.25 for supply & install
Interesting though the Ion controller is the same size but the weight is 1130 grms whereas the Immersun controller is quoted as 800grms!!?

That's a big difference £462.00 incl Vat to £685.25 (I presume inscludes VAT) just for fitting it.

(That's more than some sparks got paid for a whole PV install !! )

Reply to PV immersion heater proportional control in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net