Discuss PV roof brackets on interlocking slate effect tiles in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

beast

Hi all,

I surveyed a property today for a PV install and the tiles are slate looking interlocking tiles. They are as thin as slate, and all nailed down. I do not want to use anchor bolts due to the weatherproofing problems.

Just wondered if anyone has fitted a system to a roof like this and what they would recommend?

Cheers IMG_0261.JPGIMG_0262.JPG

I did wonder about asbestos content. The property is not that old, maybe 10 - 15 years but still not worth the risk.

I guess I'll look at the various, ambiguous slate anchor options there are out there. Just wonder whether plain tile anchors like the schuco one would be OK with some lead dressed over the bracket after the tile above has been cut and gone back on. Just don't want it to stick up too much.

Roof Survey 006.jpgThe ridings.jpgWe did one with these tiles a week or so ago, similar age to yours, they are reconstituted stone, absolute nightmare, it took us an extra day, you cant put weight on them as they will break, roof ladders will aslo break them sometimes, ours werent nailed, we used the very wide anchors for flat roofs which are very thin, the fit was good with tile in place. I would now turn down a roof with these if i came across again however, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pics Noshocks.

However I'm not sure they are reconstituted stone as they look like they have a resin in them, they are all perfectly formed, the same shape and are interlocking. I'm not sure if the ones mentioned are interlocking I can't see from the photos.

My tiles look like something along these lines Sandtoft Roof Tiles - Sandtoft Roof Tiles, BritLock Slate, natural slate appearance

Do you have a link to the fixings you mentioned that you used?

Cheers

I had a customer go mad at me because I insisted on an Asbestos sample and test and I even paid for this.
He told me there was no way there was Asbestos in the tile and it was only 11 years old and he was told that there was not.
But I had them tested and I am glad I did as yes there was Asbestos in them so I mailed him the report and felt happy about it so as BiggSolar said you should get them checked to be sure.

I had a customer go mad at me because I insisted on an Asbestos sample and test and I even paid for this.
He told me there was no way there was Asbestos in the tile and it was only 11 years old and he was told that there was not.
But I had them tested and I am glad I did as yes there was Asbestos in them so I mailed him the report and felt happy about it so as BiggSolar said you should get them checked to be sure.

Nice one, good call.

Reply to PV roof brackets on interlocking slate effect tiles in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net