Discuss Quizzed scheme assessor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just out of interest I've just contacted the ODPM to ask how to go about setting up a scheme. I'll post up the news as I get it but don't hold your breath guys

trev I think you will find the name ODPM went with Prescott.

They are now DCLG Buildings Division, the same people, but now on there 4th Junior minister since Part P came in.

You are right DCLG are requesting for people to set up new Schemes, the biggest draw back is having to get UKAS acreditation within 2 years though. I dont know why DCLG bother with UKAS as all they do is check that the Schemes are ticking boxes.

The fact that the Installer on the Doorstep, does not have to be Competent does not seem to bother UKAS, still they also are going to make lots of money, from ALL Schemes having to be UKAS Acredited now.

They charge £1000 a day +VAT +expenses, happy days for them, but why do they exist when they dont ensure Competence on the Doorstep?

Could it be another Scam?

Yep, it makes a complete mockery of these scheme providers, playing the ''Safety'' card at the recent all party inquiry!!

The DCLG all party Commons Select Committee were not impressed one bit with the Schemes, or with the way DCLG claims to monitor what they get up to.

One of their conclusions was that there was a conflict of interest allowed by DCLG, where the Schemes make money out of Registrants and Members, but at the same time claim to be concerned with Safety and Competence. :grin:

Because of this, they have concerns over Public Safety, I think that all good Electricians have concerns over Public Safety, with the scams that are going on.

If one of the schemes preferably the NICEIC said "no we are no longer letting part qualified lads in, everyone must have a JIB gold card aswell as 4 years pre application onsite experience and spent millions campaigning on it customers, landlords etc would never use anyone else neither would insurance companies.

The assessor was turning over 8 new companies every two weeks on average. That's from his mouth

2360 parts one and 2 (2 nights a week at college for 3 yrs)
2382-10 17th edition
11 years experience

still cant get a JIB gold card, does that make me part qualified ffs?

with elecsa when you are part P which i am it only covers Part P and not EICR's you have to pay extra for that

no you dont, you can still buy pads od EICR certs from their online shop, the only thing it pays for is an extra logo for your van sticker

2382-10 17th edition
11 years experience

I know....It bloody nonsense
Ive got 2330 L2+3 plus 17th edition.....If anything I'd say Im over qualified to be a domestic installer

I sympathise with the motivation for the post,that is to assure that anyone in a scheme is adequately trained,but the JIB gold card proviso would be contentious
Many have never worked under the JIB system and have never had need of them
Their selection system for grading has been criticised, very often by many well qualified people in the past,it is probably deeply flawed

The schemes, and selection to those schemes, can never be adequate,that is, until the conflict of interest of greater member numbers equalling greater wealth, when the assessment of competence are by the same organisations that benefit from increased membership

I served my time under the SJIB system so that point of view that fine (for me) but i still feel that they should have sorted all of this out with the Schemies who for me are just as bad as the litle shop in an east European village that will make and sell you a electricians card for a price.

What a bloody mess

2382-10 17th edition
11 years experience

Same quals as me yet i did get a gold card from JIB ??
Strange indeed.

Looks like they will ose my money then as I am the same as jase. Although I did my 2360 on block release

2382-10 17th edition
11 years experience

Just e-mailed. JIB with my list of qualifications and experience asking why i can't get a gold card.

There response
Good afternoon

In response to your email, before1996 was mandatory to have C&G 1,2 & am2 for an electricians grade and after C&G 2,3 & NVQ3.

If you have an certificate from ELECSA issued within 3 months you can apply for a domestic installer card, attached in an application form and a information pack.

Regards

So now even the JIB are getting on the DI band wagon. Makes a whole mockery of there system now that they do this. I am sure there some Electrical Trainee who have no idea what they are doing with a JIB card now.

The DCLG all party Commons Select Committee were not impressed one bit with the Schemes, or with the way DCLG claims to monitor what they get up to.

One of their conclusions was that there was a conflict of interest allowed by DCLG, where the Schemes make money out of Registrants and Members, but at the same time claim to be concerned with Safety and Competence. :grin:

Because of this, they have concerns over Public Safety, I think that all good Electricians have concerns over Public Safety, with the scams that are going on.

Can you just imagine the day they got the part P pushed through all them back handers to get it to happen, there would have been a massive party by the scams cause it clearly made them zillions

Reply to Quizzed scheme assessor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net