Discuss R1 R2 test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nicsin02

When doing a periodic test we have been advised by SELECT that we only have to measure or Zs and calculate our R1 R2, issues have been raised such as what if the circuit doesn't have it's own c.p.c and is merely passing on the basis of picking up a parallel path somewhere, obviously this would fail the R1 R2 test, what is your thoughts guys, cheers

Like all testing I think has the tester you have to test as you see fit, that should include many factors, current condition of the installation, type of installation, environment etc.

In a domestic situation I could not see a situation where you would never carry out an R1 +R2 test.

Commercial/Industrial can be different. There is call for an R2 test especially on things like Hi-bay lighting, Circuits where you literally can not isolate for any period and so on.

Would never think of calculating R1+R2 if not done state its not tested on the EICR along with the reason.

It must be a different GN3 to the one I have.

I think it is roughly translated as Test method 2 can be used to confirm continuity of protective conductors etc.

I might be wrong with my thinking!

It must be a different GN3 to the one I have.

I think it is roughly translated as Test method 2 can be used to confirm continuity of protective conductors etc.

I might be wrong with my thinking!

no your dead right, gn3 states that test method 2 may be used to confirm continuity. But whichever method is used, continuity must be confirmed

Years ago was doing a test on a lighting circuit where the conduit system was the Earth, Zs reading was fine, but was open circuit doing the R2 test! Turned out that the conduit had rusted away and testing at 230/240V it would test fine through the rust and damp, but the low ohms test at 12v came up as open circuit.

Im sure I read somewhere that you have to test R2 and can then calculate the Zs from that but not the other way round.
(dont have books to look it up at the moment thought)

Reply to R1 R2 test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net