Discuss Radial length in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
Ok just a quick one got brane freeze here a 20a radial can be no more than 50m2 so if this is a straight run what length is it basically how do you convert square metre into metres in a straight run thanks in advance

Agreed, the total length of the circuit depends on how long the run to the CU is!

Edit: The whole "area served" way of doing things is a bit dated IMHO, I'd just calculate the max. length permitted given the type of cable I wanted to use..

Yes, but I think the OP has it in mind to have a long radial with one outlet on it so the "floor area" is a bit irrelevent!

If it's only one outlet, then yes. If it's a general purpose 20A socket radial as shown in Appendix 15, then the maximum area served is a guide, based (I understand) on the amount of energy that can reasonably be used in a given space. Obviously, this doesn't apply to radial circuits for specific items such as water heaters, etc.

For socket circuits, it all comes down to how many heaters are likely to be plugged in. How many homes these days use convector heaters as their comprehensive heating solution?

I think it is poor that many cannot work out the maximum length of a circuit by calculating the volt drop and potential Zs of a circuit.

These calculations are really simple, and should be second nature to a working electrician - even asking what the max. length should be is wrong, as all the details are easily available for standard circuits in the OSG. if one is 'mathematically challenged'.

I think it is poor that many cannot work out the maximum length of a circuit by calculating the volt drop and potential Zs of a circuit.

These calculations are really simple, and should be second nature to a working electrician - even asking what the max. length should be is wrong, as all the details are easily available for standard circuits in the OSG. if one is 'mathematically challenged'.

You're talking to many guys who still don't know how to test an RFC correctly....

Last edited:
I always rest my RFCs. They get tired after supplying all those appliances. :) Daz

These calculations are really simple, and should be second nature to a working electrician

Absolutely. I'm not having a go at the OP but the first few posts of the thread really had me scratching my head! Totally separate considerations - the area served which governs whether the circuit is likely to fulfil the user's power consumption needs, and the length of the cable that governs the loop impedance and voltage drop, i.e. safety and efficiency of the circuit. The latter can be addressed by a larger cable for a given size of circuit, the former only by more or larger circuits.

BTW can anyone tell me how to convert amps into pints?

Absolutely. I'm not having a go at the OP but the first few posts of the thread really had me scratching my head! Totally separate considerations - the area served which governs whether the circuit is likely to fulfil the user's power consumption needs, and the length of the cable that governs the loop impedance and voltage drop, i.e. safety and efficiency of the circuit. The latter can be addressed by a larger cable for a given size of circuit, the former only by more or larger circuits.

BTW can anyone tell me how to convert amps into pints?
Now that's a basic question lol, simply divide the customers required load in amps by the cost of a pint multiplied by number required. E.G MAX LOAD =30A cost of pint= £2.50x no reqd = 0.833 pence per Amp/pint

Sounds like my local has been ripping me off, I will show them your method and see if we can agree on something more like the 0.833p you quote. Going back to the original question, that is one of my arguments against always falling back on the OSG. It discourages people from doing the calcs on the fly. If someone asked me the max circuit length, I'd work it out from the numbers already in my head quicker than I could get the OSG out.

Reply to Radial length in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net