Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss RCBO functional earth wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Zdb

Zdb Regular EF Member

Hi guys, so the situation is this... I've been asked to replace some MCBs with RCBOs as they're for ring-mains/socket outlets. The white functional earth lead on the RCBO isn't long enough to reach the earthing terminal. If I use the exact same cable type/size can i extend this so it will reach?

Thanks

2. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

Yes, of course you can.
    Note: the wire colour for a functional earth is actually cream:yum:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

So which manufacturer is guilty of this little cock-up in design then?

4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Not necessarily the manufacturer I know Hagar have different lengths for either triple pole or single pole boards.

5. davesparks

Well I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming they had got the correct rcbos for the board

6. Zdb

Zdb Regular EF Member

It was hager, and it was a 3phase board with L1, L2 and L3 all linked out so effectively being used as a single phase board. If it was an actual single phase board it would have reached.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davesparks

Sounds like you may have the wrong rcbo then, although it wouldn't surprise me if hager were producing crap like this

• Like Like x 1
  8. westward10

Might do the Lottery Sunday:D

9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
  10. mattg4321

mattg4321 Electrician's Arms

He has almost without doubt bought the 'ADN' rcbo rather than the 'ADB' which has 10kA rating and longer neutral and functional earth leads.

I'm slightly surprised by your last comment. I find Hager to be by far the best consumer units these days. Although if we're talking 3 phase DB's I haven't used so many different brands. What do you like to use Dave?

11. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    I thought this thread must have been referring to a three phase board as every RCBO I've ever fitted in a domestic board comes with a ridiculously long neutral and functional earth tail. usually have to shorten them to avoid it looking atrocious.

12. Zdb

Zdb Regular EF Member

Thanks, interesting read. Clearly the RCBOs were meant for a single phase board and not a 3phase board converted to single phase.

As long as the performance / operation isn't affected by having extended the earth lead then that's the main thing.

13. davesparks

I use Schneider acti9 (was Merlin Gerin), prior to that I used MEM until the memshield 3 came along and turned to crap.
    I can't remember the last time I fitted a consumer unit, I avoid domestic as thee just isn't the money in it.

14. freddo

freddo Regular EF Member

I'm not really a fan of the Hager 3ph boards, little wiring room and very flimsy enclosures. Though to be fair none of the currently available 3ph DBs are all that good. The Memshield 2 boards are probably my favourite, good design. I'll happily fit the memshield 3 though. The last range of merlin boards were excellent, it's a shame Schneider have now turned them to ****, all those bloody layers of earth terminals, stupid design!

15. Zdb

Zdb Regular EF Member

Contacted Hager and they said it was perfectly acceptable to extend :)

16. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

17. Flanders

Flanders Regular EF Member

Just to add the 10KA hager RCBOs are a lot more expensive than the 6 KA RCBOs So So The OP may of saved some money :)

18. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

RCBO's have been linked to being the dog's whatsits, but for the customer (savvy ones), when it does have to trip, they don't know whether its an earth fault, or overload or overcurrent. I seem to recall, some early RCBO's had a half one position for one or t'other?

These days, surely it would be that had for the manufactures to come up with a device to indicate the specific fault, or have we got to wait for the 19th Edition for that :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. westward10

I believe that may be Square D QOE.