Discuss RCBO keeps tripping - without explanation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

yep. could just be a N skinned a bit. i had a FCU the other week was damp and tracking across terminals.

Disconnect the bad circuit and test against the circuits in the board. The times I have changed a board to RCBO's to find out some bugger has nicked a nuetral from a ring main for a lighting circuit.

Also check no sockets on this ring have neutral and earth switched. i.e maybe where your computer is plugged in. Obviously any appliance plugged into a socket like this will create a fault to earth. (probably irrelevent if you are sure you have unplugged everyting.)

I have fingers crossed - think I have found it.
There is a fused spur outlet which has not ben used for about 15 years (and I had almost forgotten about).
Had some panelling put in recently and guess what must have nailed through the cable.
Luckily the outlet is actually on a spur (not directly on the ring). So I've disconnected t.

On testing the cable to the fused outlet (now hidden behind panelling) I get those very same low insulation results.

So hopefully case solved.

Thanks for hints folks

had one very similar and it was a neutral on a socket,just the tiniest score in the insulation caused by a fixing screw,you could hardly see it when you removed the socket but it was just the way the cable had been pushed back and made contact with a screw.

Reply to RCBO keeps tripping - without explanation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have an issue with a home lighting circuit 6A RCBO provides power to 13 bulbs which randomly keeps tripping, when I say randomly it keeps...
Replies
Views
Hi, I moved home a few months ago and the electrics RCD keep tripping. Sometimes it will happen every few days and sometimes will be fine for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. We have a 120v 20 amp circuit to an accessory dwelling with a run of about 75' of direct bury #12. The breaker keeps tripping even when...
Replies
Views
DIY query Have narrowed down the source of an occasional trip to one light circuit which is a varilight v-pro master dimmer slave set up. This...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock