Discuss RCD in consumer unit keeps popping, replaced with new one, still same issue in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks Dave - do RCDs have a shelf life?
not a shelf life as such, but once installed they get dust in them, mechanisn sticks if not tested regularly, and if they keep tripping due to a fault, sometimes they get wore out. a bit like me.

OP ............. you stated you had a spark coming on Thursday, which I presume was today - what did they find?

Is that really a thing? Rcds can only trip umpteen times before they get worn out?
I'd have thought they'd be designed to break their rated load 1000+ times before suffering any failure due to wear.
However I'll agree with the overall point that the op is not going to solve it quickly through trial and error!

Sounds like the auto defrost element on the fridge or freezer could be on the way out

The installation need testing not changing bits to see if th at bit was at fault, get an Electrician to do some investigation, and testing.

Reactions: UNG
Morning guys!

Over the weekend I noticed that the 80a RCD in my consumer unit kept tripping. The house doesn't have anything particularly power hungry - no air con, no DIY tools. It even trips in the middle of the night sometimes (I know so because the house alarm has a little fit when it detects there is no longer any power and switches to the backup battery).

I am wondering what it might be? I replaced the RCD with a second hand one from eBay, seller has 100% feedback and stated it was tested. Is that my issues (I replaced a duff one with a duff one) or is there something else I should look for?

Here's the unit with the switch pointed out. I have a multimeter at the ready to test, just tell me what to target.

View attachment 42840

View attachment 42841

What a waste of money. It was obvious from the start it wouldn’t be a faulty RCD. You are not going to save money by doing random changes of equipment. Also it’s dangerous as you clearly are not competent to do so.....

What a waste of money. It was obvious from the start it wouldn’t be a faulty RCD. You are not going to save money by doing random changes of equipment. Also it’s dangerous as you clearly are not competent to do so.....
He also doesn't know whether this second-hand RCCB purchased from eBay even works correctly...

• Agree

Disagree about the faulty RCD .... that does happen, rarely , but ...

• Agree
No need for any replacing of bits. First job - sort out the shared neutrals that are as plain as day!
Consumer unit is a bit of a botch and a mess...but I don't see these as plain as day?? The fault would be far from intermittent and easy enough to find if it was shared neutrals.

Look at the busbar in the original picture, the 2 MCB's to the left are also protected by the RCD in a somewhat "bespoke" arrangement.

Disagree about the faulty RCD .... that does happen, rarely , but ...

Not as rare as you might think I don't change that many consumer units but I have had two that had faulty RCD's brand new out the box and another that I found while doing some other work for a customer that wouldn't trip within the rated time and current about 6 months after installation

No need for any replacing of bits. First job - sort out the shared neutrals that are as plain as day!

Normally it is the shared live not the neutral that is the problem but I doubt it in this installation

Reply to RCD in consumer unit keeps popping, replaced with new one, still same issue in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net