Search the forum,

Discuss RCD on socket outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think you need to have an UNDERSTANDING of design but by saying that if you can't design, you shouldn't be inspecting and testing is over the top.

Like I said before most employers ask for a minimum of HND for designers, not a 4 year apprenticeship and the 2395.

Or the 2396.

Yes, an understanding would be a start, but this is what I'm getting at. There is far far more to inspection and testing than just measuring results with a multifunction tester. If this were the case then the 2394 and 95 could be completed within a matter of hours.

The majority of knowledge needed by a profesisonal inspector and tester is regs knowledge and fundamental design knowledge. Bearing in mind that a lot of fundamental design knowledge is regs based too.

I think to summarise this discussion, in my opinion, it's having the ability (from knowledge/experience) to interpret any measurements, observations etc made on an inspection that is important.

all depends on the attitude. went into a pub with my rottweiler once and there was a bloke at the bar had put his hat on the next barstool. the dog grabbed and gave it a good ragging. the bloke said to me " Oi, you dog's just chewed up my hat"

" So what" i said.

he said " I don't like your attitude"

i said " it's not my attitude, it's your 'at he chewed"

Hi all,

well thanks once again for all you input, and taking the time and effort to reply.

Telectrix you seem to be one of the true gents on here, and i think others could take a leaf from your book, from what I have seen with your posts you are generally very helpful, and give out the advice without making the belittling comments, so I thank you for that.

i have to hold my hands up and say I probably brought on a lot of the aggro, by the way I worded my post in the first place, and I can see how some of you made assumptions and gave me a bit of a ribbing for it.

A lot of you do seemed to have missed the point though. I wasn't asking the questions coz I didn't have a clue what the answers are myself, I was asking the questions as I had seen and heard a big difference of opinion on the subjects, and although I did actually know the answers myself, I was asking for clarification as I heard different from more experienced people and one who is registered with Niciec.
Sometimes when you hear others say different to what you actually believe you then start to doubt yourself, but at the end of the day I suppose there is no arguing with what it says in the regs book.

i do frequently read the regs book, and the on site guide and my testing book, contrary to what others assumed, but there are times when you just want to get a bit of reassurance from others.

thanks once again for all your input, I will make sure in future I put a bit more thought into the wording of my posts to try and avoid the negative remarks from certain members

Reply to RCD on socket outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net