Discuss Recommendations for multi tool blade for brick/plaster in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for a decent multi tool blade to cut through plaster and some brick/block. I could use a standard blade but it will kill the blade.
Have a job coming up where it needs some delicate cutting without going too heavy on the wall. normal chasing isnt an option. likewise disc cutters would be too intense and heavy handed.
I used to use decent erbaur ones, but they are no longer available.
What makes/blades are people using ?
I will be making a series of cuts to make a narrow chase and then sink a shallow box in for a switch. the chase will be less than half an inch wide, the customer has agreed to this so that it avoids too much remedial work.

I am looking for recommendations for a decent multi tool blade to cut through plaster and some brick/block. I could use a standard blade but it will kill the blade.
Have a job coming up where it needs some delicate cutting without going too heavy on the wall. normal chasing isnt an option. likewise disc cutters would be too intense and heavy handed.
I used to use decent erbaur ones, but they are no longer available.
What makes/blades are people using ?
I will be making a series of cuts to make a narrow chase and then sink a shallow box in for a switch. the chase will be less than half an inch wide, the customer has agreed to this so that it avoids too much remedial work.
Gavin Hi, can't see the point, there will be a scar on the wall 1/2" or 2" it's still a scar and will need some redecoration, just saying.

Did you cut brick with the erbauer blades.
It is a thing I would not of considered due to the respect for the machine . If so , how did it fare?

P

Point taken. I can only do what my customer asks for... even if it means they pay extra for the extra care required
Yes I know, they can be a pain can't they? good luck with your search for a new blade for your Multi Tool

I have found cutting breeze blocks easy, the brick i need to cut is soft, its bath stone. the old erbauer blades i used i found worked fine, they were only £8 each and as long as you didnt push it too hard into the cut and let it skim over the cutting line it worked fine without putting too much pressure on the motor. Sadly erbauer no longer make the blades and i have run out..

I have found cutting breeze blocks easy, the brick i need to cut is soft, its bath stone. the old erbauer blades i used i found worked fine, they were only £8 each and as long as you didnt push it too hard into the cut and let it skim over the cutting line it worked fine without putting too much pressure on the motor. Sadly erbauer no longer make the blades and i have run out..
Are these the jobbies you are on about?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e...x-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=B-xoWsPfDYHS8AfV9qboCg

Smaller diameter disc cuter can be quite accurate if you can cope with the dust. Will certainly give you the neat edges on the surface.

@FatAlan disc cutter is a no go in the old house. also cant risk a over run along an edge as the bare wall will be on display and seen afterwards, also too much dust, by using a multi cutter i can cut perfectly sized square hole and then using a mallet and chisel knock centre out. The house is immaculate to the extreme and listed, there is a old giant wheel in the downstairs fireplace that the rich folk would have put a dog in during Georgian times to spin the wheel for the spit roast! they showed me a pile of letters from building control covering a lot of it, there are so many listed things in this house, the wheel is one, there are also hooks, most of the plaster work and some bells, the entire staircase as it was handcrafted by some famous chippy! the garden is also protected as it was designed by some notable person! part of living in a unesco protected heritage city full of old buildings. At least the noise will make there pedigree cat run a mile and leave me alone, its better fed than most people is their cat.

for the box use 5.5 masonry bit or something near that size, mark out the line , grab a masonry chisel or a joiners flathead screwdriver and knock out the square, it should come off quite easy once youve drilled all the way round

get it quite often with the diamond corer, if the wall is too deep i have to chisel out the 4inch block to carry on, usually a few good hits with the hammer removes it, but if not, get the chisel in the gap and prize it till the 4inch block snaps off

Reply to Recommendations for multi tool blade for brick/plaster in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net