Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Renewing consumer unit - no space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Ohmless

Ohmless EF Member

Hi.
    An electrician isn't my day job but I qualified on one of those 'quickie' courses a couple of years ago, thus I am competent yet rusty on some aspects.
    My conundrum is that a consumer unit needs upgrading. However, the CU is situated in a low cupboard on a narrow (right hand) wall, it just fits and awkward to get to.
    A new (amendment) CU is obviously much larger, but would fit comfortably on the adjacent wall some 40cm away.
    My question please, to the venerable, is: Would it be acceptable to replace the old CU with a junction box housing, and to run the various twin & earth cables from here to the new CU nearby?
    Many thanks for (polite) replies!

2. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Yep you can get a din rail box and wago connectors and make a nice neat safe job of it. But don't neglect tests before doing change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Madocks

Madocks Electrician's Arms

Define competent, are you with a scheme? How do you intend on signing the work off?

Yes, you can extend the circuits.

4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Providing you used the correct enclosure/connectors, and the install was up to current standards, and the DNO was prepared to move the supply to the new proposed position, and if the cost of moving the DNOs equipment was cost prohibited, and you used the correct install method and equipment for the supply from the existing head to the new CU position, I see no reason why not.

5. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Similar to this...(not my job BTW). I don't think the DNO equipment needs moving as it's only being moved 400mm and no distribution circuit. Looks like the OP is moving the position as a new amm3 style box won't fit in the existing space.

IMG_1653.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Must have had some red tucked away...eh?

7. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    I think i need to get out more, as for some reason i always find a nice neat row of din rail connectors to extend cables in an enclosure exciting, it just looks so well organised and tidy if done well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

What you are suggesting is an option, but I would avoid having to extend the tails in said enclosure .........

The last time I did something like this, I used a Henley block next to the old board for the tails and an external met next to the Henley...

9. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Is it April already?

10. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

pic I took off line. If I'm not mistaken I think it might even be one of engineer54's pics.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  11. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

Just a note, if you do use din rail connections. Connect the CPCs in normal din rail connectors NOT the earth ones as shown, as this will effectively connect all the CPCs together across the Din rail and make testing difficult if disconnecting at the DB terminals

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  12. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Another thought is to go all rcbo in the new CU. This will get back 4 ways and it may fit in the existing location :) .

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Not heard anything about eng for ages. I'm not hopeful to tell you the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ohmless

Ohmless EF Member

Whow, thank you Vortigern for your swift reply and thank you all for your replies, love the photo Leesparky, helps a lot.
    Yep, no need to move the DNO because, unlike the photo the new CU will be at the same horizontal level as the old one, (or 'head' as it will become,) but on the adjacent wall and so will become actually slightly closer to the DNO equipment. However, it does mean that I will need to run the extended cables externally between the units. (Just wish it was at head height and not under a low cupboard!)
    Nice thought Wilko about using RCBOs I'll have a scratch of the head and get my tape measure out.
    - and take a gander at the various types of din rail connectors.
    Thank you all again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

If you are going to get a new CU how about installing an isolator after the meter?