Discuss Replacement Bathroom Fan - Advice appreciated in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

he meant fused down , to 3A from the lighting which is generally 6A.

I’m now looking at two particular fans in earnest:

Greenwood Airvac RF90 (with humidistat) - Centrifugal, IP44, 21 l/s, 20 watts, 41dBA @ 3m, 2 year warranty.

Envirovent Silent 100 Design (with humidistat) – Axial, IP45, 22 l/s, 8 watts, 26.5dBA @ 3m, 5 year warranty.

The Envirovent fan appears to win on most factors, although centrifugal does appear to win more votes than axial for pushing/pulling air. The one thing I do like about the Greenwood fan is that it has an easily cleanable filter in the front. Anyone with 3 females in their house will probably know what a mess talcum powder can make of a fan and ducting :teeth_smile:

Any views on these two fans?

Many thanks for all the help on the electrical side of things. It has all been a great help and really appreciated.

One thing I have noticed today is that the wiring diagram for the original Greenwood Airvac fan stated that there should be a ‘double pole isolating switch’.

The only thing in circuit for this fan is the 3amp fuse in the loft.

As the circuit will therefore be changing, it looks like I am going to have to go down notifiable/certification route anyway as this will need to be in place for the new fan.

Are there any stipulations on where the ‘double pole isolating switch’ should be located, or could this be in the loft next to the 3 amp fuse (not very handy)?

I’m also having second thoughts on the two fans I’ve suggested, as this video seems to show the poor performance of the ‘flat front cover’ fans.
Silent Fan with High Air Extraction Power - the "Fan Power" Challenge by EnviroVent - YouTube
This has surprised me as the video is actually by Envirovent and they do a flat front cover axial fan – one of the ones I chose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Replacement Bathroom Fan - Advice appreciated in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net