Discuss Ring wired - Help bypass Underdome Bell? Friedland 743 transforma in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

James26

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a Ring wired bell thinking, easy, just replace the current doorbell. Now I'm hunting down how to bypass the chime but am unsure of how given this underdome bell system? Please see photos, Friedland 743 transforma is separate with chime on wall, I can't see anything else and do not know what to bypass? Thanks for the help. 2023-07-18_152542.png

If you have a bypass link in the kit, just put it between the two terminals on the doorbell, leaving the white wires where they are. If no link supplied, move one of the white doorbell wires to the other terminal, so they are both connected together. You don't need to take the bell off the wall - it looks as if it might be glued in place!
The idea is just to feed the output of the Friedland transformer directly to the doorbell wires.

I thought the Ring doorbell ideally needs 16 volts, minimum of 10. Your transformer is 8 volts, but might produce enough over-voltage to make the system work. Try it and see. Otherwise you will need a new transformer.

You have taken the cover off the mains terminals of the transformer - exposed live terminals are obviously dangerous, so I trust it's disconnected, and the cover is going back on !

If you have a bypass link in the kit, just put it between the two terminals on the doorbell, leaving the white wires where they are. If no link supplied, move one of the white doorbell wires to the other terminal, so they are both connected together. You don't need to take the bell off the wall - it looks as if it might be glued in place!
The idea is just to feed the output of the Friedland transformer directly to the doorbell wires.

I thought the Ring doorbell ideally needs 16 volts, minimum of 10. Your transformer is 8 volts, but might produce enough over-voltage to make the system work. Try it and see. Otherwise you will need a new transformer.

You have taken the cover off the mains terminals of the transformer - exposed live terminals are obviously dangerous, so I trust it's disconnected, and the cover is going back on !
Got it, that answer cleared everything up. Indeed I think the bell is glued on! I'll give it a go tomorrow again. And yes the live terminals have been covered again. My multimeter got to 10 volts at the doorbell, so here's hoping.

Reactions: DPG

I just twisted the wires together and that worked just fine. Ring says the voltage is low but the whole system logged in with Ring and video/audio/app works fine so far. FYI for anyone reading this, the transforma says it supplies 8 volts but my multimeter said it was 9.9 and that seems sufficent. So I have used an old London terraced house Friedland system with separate bell and replaced it with the wired Ring doorbell. Thanks for your help.

Reply to Ring wired - Help bypass Underdome Bell? Friedland 743 transforma in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net