Discuss Room by room automated heating control system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a customer enquiring about a system for heating to control any floor heating, radiators hot water independantly for each room of house remotely or from a central control panel. Does anyone have any experience in any makes that suit the job best?

Just get back to the good old coal fire with a back boiler ;) Cozy living room with all the hot water you want ....... just wear extra jumpers if you go into any other room. There is enough smog thingy stuff being let out naturally in the world, the little bit we add from coal fires aint gonna change the environment any more! Infact if we globally warm (or climate change as now known) then we soon wont need any heating at all, problems solved ......

How about Loxone? They do similar to KNX/Crestron systems for a massive saving - planning to do my parents house wirelessly when they release their new range, but for the moment the wired solution is excellent.

For retrofit, Honeywell EVO still the best by a long mile, though these guys might be worth a try - if you can get you head around the way it works! - Istabai Home Automation products

Alternative Pegler Terrier i-Temp

Heatmiser every time. They have a Neo range that do just this; multi zone control from anywhere.

Have I got it wrong? The neo appears to be simply an app based controller - can it turn an unzoned system into a multi-zoned one like the Honewell EVO can - or is there no retrofit option and it can only control the existing zone valve (how oftem do you come across a property pre-installed with more than one zone :) )

Try the guys at sensible heat HOneywell Hometronic distributors. as for loxone doing what crestron can, er no.... AMX can though, controlling them is the easy bit, its fitting individual controls to every rad etc. That's what's costs...

whichever way it's done just make sure you mark all your cables up,I ve had to sort 2 out in the past where people have got wires mixed up, a real pia when everything isn't labelled.

I think you'll find the hometronic has been replaced and superceded by the Evo ....

I have installed and recommend the Eaton xComfort home automation gear! mainly wireless so simple to install offers complete control from a free App you can download to your phone or tablet. There are plenty of xComfort videos on youtube to look at and get an understanding if it suits your client, I have installed xComfort myself mainly for the Norwegian Market.

www.xcomfort.co.uk

I have installed and recommend the Eaton xComfort home automation gear! mainly wireless so simple to install offers complete control from a free App you can download to your phone or tablet. There are plenty of xComfort videos on youtube to look at and get an understanding if it suits your client, I have installed xComfort myself mainly for the Norwegian Market.

Still don't see how that on it's own provides the room by room control - it still needs to interfaced to an existing multi-zone system and if that doesn't exist as in 99.99% of UK homes it doesn't provide the room by room control. I'm still haven't come across anything else other than the Honeywell Evo system that does just that.

I'm possibly in the market for something like this as well, given the layout of our house it would definitely benefit from zoning. Something not clear on any of these, except the Honeywell, is whether they interlock with the boiler. I think that's essential - if none of the zones are calling you don't want the boiler idle firing.

Do any of the other systems mentioned here have boiler interlock?

Tony S

Honeywell Evohome is the only one I have come across that can totally multizone an existing system. The one downside is if you haven't got TRV's fitted or the heads aren't compatible then it will require these to be changed. It's not a cheap system if you go the whole hog with it. If existing system has 2 CH zones and TRV's the payback time will take many years imo

I'm possibly in the market for something like this as well, given the layout of our house it would definitely benefit from zoning. Something not clear on any of these, except the Honeywell, is whether they interlock with the boiler. I think that's essential - if none of the zones are calling you don't want the boiler idle firing.

Do any of the other systems mentioned here have boiler interlock?

Tony S

As a retrofit, from our research, it is only the Honeywell Evo that offers boiler interlock - we still keep looking!

This one MAY offer it, ( Istabai Home Automation products ) though both the manufacturer and suppliers have been tardy to answer our questions which doesn't bode well, so we'll stick with evo :)

Or in a refurbishment or new build environment you could use underfloor heating controls as mentioned before.

Payback comes through convenience and smart control. We regularly have 8 zones configured on the evo systems, with a single controller you can go up to 12.

Hi All

just priced up a job with lighting & heating controls we are looking to use Lightwave RF by megaman.
this uses trv's that can be controlled over internet through app.

Reply to Room by room automated heating control system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net