Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Room Stat height in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. D80

D80 Guest

What height do you folks mount Room Stats at?

The Hitler from Building Control NI has flagged one I have installed (1.5M) as being too high and wants it dropped to 1.2M to top of it:001_9898:. Never have had this as issue before and as far as I can recall manufacturers recommend around 1.5M!

2. Dave 85

Dave 85 Guest

I'd normally go about 1.5m but I hardly do any new build. I suppose you could claim that if a light switch has to be accessible to mini me then so does a stat but who knows. That building inspector sounds like a real fun guy.

3. Plonker 3

Plonker 3 Guest

Any instuctions come with the room stat stating what height it should be mounted at?

4. ackbarthestar

ackbarthestar Trusted Advisor

This old chestnut... 'M' regs verses common sense

It is not always appropriate to place a heat sensitive switch at waist level, often due to little fingers tweaking them as well as drafts etc....

• Like Like x 1
  5. nickblake

nickblake Trusted Advisor

Nominal height for a room stat is 1500 mm as per instructions

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    5ft. is the height i fit at. nice and easy for eye level,

7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Can he quote the regs that say that?

• Like Like x 1
  8. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    be good if the manufacturers instructions say 1500 ish. you could show it to him, shove it up his snooty nose.

• Like Like x 3
  9. D80

D80 Guest

Never came across him before nor has the builder. He's not making things easy!

Will have to look at see which make I have fitted there, the only instructions I have to hand are from Salus and they say 1500mm

Its different building regs in Northern Ireland which will complicate things a little as most here are England/Wales based. In general they are the same, just all jumbled up letters wise!

Thanks, has been fitted as such, although need to confirm specific manufacturers instructions. Building control can be a bunch of idiots at times though so may have to lower the blooming thing to get them to pass it...which would make the job ok with building control but not BS 7671, insane!

10. nickblake

I have a new stat on the van back in a jiff

11. nickblake

I was right 1500 001.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    so was i. just looked at my trusty dual fuel tape measure and see that 5ft. is as near as damn it 1500 milli munchkins.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Dave 85

Dave 85 Guest

Imagine if building control and the implementation of building regs was carried out by ex-builders instead of jumped up, brothel bred, little neo nazi jobsworths. The building game 'd be booming

• Like Like x 5
  14. Jdsparky

Jdsparky Regular EF Member

Practically all thermostats I've ever fitted have said 1500 high so a bit contradicting when building regs say pretty much anything between 450 and 1200...always fitted them as per manu instructions :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. nickblake

And if the say it has to be at 1200 then hit the ball back as that will increase the carbon foot print of the building as heat rises so it will take more heat and burn more fuel to switch off the stat !!!!

• Like Like x 1