Discuss Route to electrical engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

malcoa

Hi
My son is 15 and wants to become an electrical engineer, i know that apprenticeships are few and far between in engineering around my area and any that are available go to the ones with the highest grades. Are there any other routes for scool leavers...ONC, HNC but then what?

For starters, tell him stay at school and get his A levels.
That'll open the door to Uni, where he can get a full on BEng(Hons) and unfortunately, about a >>£60,000 debt at the end of it!

2 years fulltime BTEC in electrical / electronic engineering is one route straight from school without having to find a job.
there are entry requirements though depending on his gcse grades.
A levels ? pfft !
;-)

You're only young once, 2 more years at school then 3 years of partying at Uni. 4 if you fail a year!!
It's the only way!!! :)
Put off real life as long as possible.

Well, I WAS an electrical Engineer. 4 year apprenticeship along with 4 years at College got me a fairly modest salary along with every job involving shift working. Personally I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Plenty of good careers out there, and I'm making sure my 17 year-old stays away from trades!

I went the A levels/BEng(Hons) route and learned more in the first year of work than I did in 3 years of university. I learned more theory than you can shake a stick at but didn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other. The 'problem' with the graduate route back then was that most employers expected you to work your way up to management level quite quickly, thus pretty much divorcing yourself from anything electrical or engineering related. I hope things have changed since then, but if not, I would suggest your son picks another route. Having said that, three years of booze, partying and women was well worth it...

Can’t add much more to Archy’s posts.

I don’t know if it’s still possible, some companies would give bursaries to engineering students at university. It’s worth looking for as it guarantees a work placement.
Work placements are essential, you get to know the real world.
I had a few on work placement with me, I enjoyed it but I was young and mellow then.

The company I worked for would take on graduates, their first three months was a bomb shell to them:
Electrical, they got chucked in my direction on shifts. (The mellowness had worn off by then).
Mechanical, god help them, they got….. They got Hutch! (The only fitter that could put me down)!

All these graduates were destined for the drawing office but first they had to work on the plants alongside the guys that would be ripping their heads off if thy cocked up a design.

It was a two way thing, I sat down with them and they started me on PLC programming. Something that paid dividends when I moved to a new company. This time I was the new boy, with a few tricks up his sleeve!

If you’re lad really wants to go for engineering then back him as much as you can. My only proviso, we need practical engineers therefore the work placements are critical. Theory is one thing, a sledgehammer gets things going!

Before Archy starts on me:
No I am not a qualified engineer, I’m an engineer by virtue of the companies I worked for designating me as such! M&E shift engineer!

Well, I WAS an electrical Engineer. 4 year apprenticeship along with 4 years at College got me a fairly modest salary along with every job involving shift working. Personally I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Plenty of good careers out there, and I'm making sure my 17 year-old stays away from trades!
I think its each to their own, i did a four year apprenticeship also and have a stable reasonably paid 9-5 job, have generally enjoyed the work ive done, never been unemployed and have no shortage of work.

I'd rather he did something that he wanted to do and i want to try and help him get there.

Can’t add much more to Archy’s posts.

I don’t know if it’s still possible, some companies would give bursaries to engineering students at university. It’s worth looking for as it guarantees a work placement.
Work placements are essential, you get to know the real world.
I had a few on work placement with me, I enjoyed it but I was young and mellow then.

The company I worked for would take on graduates, their first three months was a bomb shell to them:
Electrical, they got chucked in my direction on shifts. (The mellowness had worn off by then).
Mechanical, god help them, they got….. They got Hutch! (The only fitter that could put me down)!

All these graduates were destined for the drawing office but first they had to work on the plants alongside the guys that would be ripping their heads off if thy cocked up a design.

It was a two way thing, I sat down with them and they started me on PLC programming. Something that paid dividends when I moved to a new company. This time I was the new boy, with a few tricks up his sleeve!

If you’re lad really wants to go for engineering then back him as much as you can. My only proviso, we need practical engineers therefore the work placements are critical. Theory is one thing, a sledgehammer gets things going!

Before Archy starts on me:
No I am not a qualified engineer, I’m an engineer by virtue of the companies I worked for designating me as such! M&E shift engineer!

if he cant get there via an apprenticeship then it will have to be the academic route i think, likewise i think it critical that they get some hands on experience not to mention going to the stores for a long stand, i have contacted a few engineering companies locally to get him work experience as i did whilst i was 15.......not a chance thse days, they arent interested if they are under 18 and i can understand why to be honest.

Thanks all for your valued input

I know a lot of you think Engineers are clueless tools when it comes to being on the tools.
The thing with doing a degree is that it teaches how to think for yourself, got a problem, go and find the answer.
It stops most of the inane questions you get on here and other places.
I did mine because I like to know how 'things' work, I'm never going to work as an Engineer, but it opened doors.
I got into Instrumentation by pure chance, spotted a job in Stockport jobcentre and applied on the off chance...and got it!
It's a subject I love which I doubt I'd have got without my quals.

Don't limit yourself, aim high, you don't know what the future holds!!! :)

:rant:

I'd never start on you Tony!!! :smilielol5:

Reply to Route to electrical engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net