Discuss Routing main bonding alongside gas pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

ses

-
Reaction score
Just completed 15 new builds and on 3 properties the main bonding was run through the pvc sleeve which the gas pipe runs through the caverty wall to the meter outside.
Have now been told that they may not connect the gas meter to those properties unless the bonding is re-routed.

Cannot find any reg thats states you cant run the bonding this way only found this one:

BS6891-2005
8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services

Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows: a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units;
b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

Sates distribution cables nothing about bonds. Any one shed any light on this please

Just completed 15 new builds and on 3 properties the main bonding was run through the pvc sleeve which the gas pipe runs through the caverty wall to the meter outside.
Have now been told that they may not connect the gas meter to those properties unless the bonding is re-routed.

Cannot find any reg thats states you cant run the bonding this way only found this one:

BS6891-2005
8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services

Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows: a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units;
b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

Sates distribution cables nothing about bonds. Any one shed any light on this please

Try bonding the gas pipe when you're not allowed to go closer than 25mm.

That would be a good trick :D

i'm doing the wiring regs at the moment and i do have some vague recollection of having heard or read somewhere that there should be a minimum distance between main protective bonding and the service pipe with regards to route - certainly that it is not allowed to be clipped to the pipe.

However, just had a look through the regs and can't find anything at all - section 528.3 should be favourite "Proximity to non-electrical services" but nothing. Not looking too good for my 2382 exam !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The sleeve of the gas pipe is not a permitted roue for the bonding cable

Now where I got that from is anybodys guess,it has just been my understanding for many years

It is possibly more to do with the gas regs than electrical
I hope I am wrong,but I wouldn't bet on it

Try the plumbers forums for a water mans view

I was thinking about this last week, as I had to run gas and water bonding together beside the the gas pipe. Reg 528.3 did come to mind, but I rejected it due to the obvious need to connect the pipe for the gas bonding, and the the subsequent consideration that the gas and water BOTH go to the MET anyway. Lastly, under fault free conditions the bonding will have no potential difference to the gas pipe, and then I came full circle and thougth ..... well that's the whole point anyway!

So I did it.

I heard about something like this, your not even supposed to cable tie your bonding cable to the gas pipe. I can't remember for the life of me where this was written or who told me :(.

found it

Main bonding conductors should not be supported by the service pipes they are connected to,Reg 543.3.1

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually put a sneaky zip tie just before the clamp just to stop the cable being moved, a bit like a cord grip, so shoot me :D I clip it to the wall up until this point though ;)

[QUOTE
Main bonding conductors should not be supported by the service pipes they are connected to,Reg 543.3.1[/QUOTE]

And plumbers should stop slotting their pipes over my drilled joist cables, because they cant be ar--d to pick up a differnet floorboard

Reg No couldn't give damn :)

HEY I'VE FOUND IT :D (just by accident i haven't been looking all this time!)

"Gas installations pipes must be spaced at least 25mm away from electricity cables"
2.3 b. page 18 OSG

HEY I'VE FOUND IT :D (just by accident i haven't been looking all this time!)

"Gas installations pipes must be spaced at least 25mm away from electricity cables"
2.3 b. page 18 OSG

Yeh pull the other-one! 2 days of trawling through the books:rolleyes::D:p

Thing is; this is a bonding cable being connected to the gas pipe, so proximity is as close as it gets (i.e. connected together) BTW I do realise that the majority of the run needs to be away from the gas pipe.

It's to do with sealing the pipe to stop leaks into cavity but I have seen loads of meter boxes with bonding coming through PVC sleeves

Nic Eic snags and soloutions book for earthing and bonding states in snag 15 that the earthing conductor is permitted to run through the sleeve where the gas pipe enters the property. Rule for one and a rule for another eh.

Reply to Routing main bonding alongside gas pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net