Discuss Running Radial From Ring in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

quick pointer for you sky, one socket fed off a ring is called a spur not a radial. A circuit is either a Ring or a Radial.
Keep them questions coming mate.

Thank you all. can't wait to get this course completed and out of the way.

I'm really enjoying it at the moment and can't wait for the practical.

At the moment we are just doing the health and safety module 201.

So what one is the correct answer,

one post says one radial per ring socket is ok (no fusespur)

and

Another post says that it cannot be done??

Confused..

you should not have a radial from a ring, you can have one SPUR (ie another socket) from each socket on the ring.

A radial insinuates multiple sockets on the same circuit with no return leg to the CU

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by phantom ring? A ring from a point on a radial circuit maybe? Every radial diagram we ever did in training had several branches, some off sockets, some off JBs and some fused down and powered over 1.5mm or 2.5mm t&e. As long as the cable at any particular point can handle the load and is protected surely it's ok? It's not always practical to only extend a radial from it's far end is it?

Not sure what you mean by phantom ring? A ring from a point on a radial circuit maybe? Every radial diagram we ever did in training had several branches, some off sockets, some off JBs and some fused down and powered over 1.5mm or 2.5mm t&e. As long as the cable at any particular point can handle the load and is protected surely it's ok? It's not always practical to only extend a radial from it's far end is it?

As I said (IMO) not my personal preference, also the title of the thread is Running radial (sic) from a ring so I was taking the trainee through some tests to check for a ring.

Last edited:
Thank you all. can't wait to get this course completed and out of the way.

I'm really enjoying it at the moment and can't wait for the practical.

At the moment we are just doing the health and safety module 201.

Hi Sky

Completed my level 2, very nearly finished level 3 and 17th edition booked in for July. Don't worry about the 201 health and safety, if you apply common sense to the questions, you can;'t go wrong :)

I was taught that if you have a ring circuit of 10 sockets for example, then you can have 10 unfused spurs (one from each socket)

I you wanted to take a spur from a spur, then it must be a fused spur to protect the cable

Hope that helps

Is it not possible to go upto 50 S/O's if each has its own FCU?

Technically yes although if you mean all off one socket originating on the ring it's bad practice.
What would have to be considered here would be the maximum floor space that can be served and the Zs value at the furthest point. Maximum floor space can be found in Appendix 15.

If you mean 50 S/O as 50 individual spurs at various points in the ring than yes this could be done.

Reply to Running Radial From Ring in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net